Eating for eating sake

Options
Ok, i have been struggling with food ever since i left university, i think about food all the time, once i ahve had breakfast i think 'only 2.5 hours until i can have a snack, then at snack time i think 'only 1.5 hours until lunch time' and so and so on. I eat for eating sake most of the time, i could feel full but my mouth wants the taste of something tasty in it. For example today i was so full from lunch but there were scones on our treat desk at work ( which is right opposite me!) and i had a few, yes a few not just one! all because i love sones sooooo much! i feel pogged now and know that i will have to up my workout tonight because of it. It is so frustrating! it is only because i have will power and exercise too much (6-7 days a week) that i manage to keep from piling the pounds on! I have even considered having hypno-therapy to see if that will help.

Does anyone else feel the same way? How does everyone else handle being in this situation? I love food so much, baking and cooking are two of my favorite hobbies which does not help this vicious cycle.

Please help!

Replies

• paulettac
    Options
    Have you tried sugar free gum? It helps me.
  • JMJohnson1005
    JMJohnson1005 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I chew gum. It really helps.
  • knelson422
    Options
    I hear you sister!!!! I am a "food addict", it is very hard. Something that is helping me most days is having veggies to snack on (I really do have to be eating all of the time), and if I feel like I am going to binge on something - drink a big glass of water and go and do something else away from the kitchen or call a friend. This is tough if you are at work and there are treats all around. I don't know that I would be able to do it. I really struggle with this as well. Keeping track of everything I am eating on MFP has really opened my eyes to how much I eat. Good luck. You can do it!!
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I think about food all the time - especially in the evenings.

It doesn't help that after I eat breakfast, I am planning dinner for the family to curb the inevitable "what's for dinner" question I am bombarded with come 3pm...

No matter how full I am, I always contemplate what I could eat next (and now, how many calories I have left to do so...) even if I am not hungry.... I found that drinking water really helps - but not out of a glass - for some ridiculous reason, I seem to be more apt to drink large(r) quantities of water our of a 32oz water bottle. And I don't put the bottle down, I hold it in my hands - that way, my hands are occupied.... strange / silly I know .. but it seems to work (oh and tea at night helps...)
  • kimbaclay
    Options
    I have a similar problem but i don't tend to excersize vigorously to keep the weight down, i just don't have the time in the day! lol. I have will power but that is still keeping me from smoking so the will power against eating treats is completely out the window. I have not smoked for a year and a half and still battle against the cravings as at work i sit next to a smoker :sad: :mad:

I'm sure i will get there and having this website in app form is prooving so useful! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I would love to hear people's suggestions to how they cope with those temptations, i do believe half my problem though is boredom at work so i head for food! :explode:

Looking forward to responses and i hope you find some answers :bigsmile:
  • forestdancers
    forestdancers Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I used to be like that. I find that the book I Can Make You Thin helped me to change my way of thinking about food and my way of eating food. When you eat. Only eat. No TV, music, computer, reading. Only focus on what your (slowly) eating. Chew each small mouthful at least 20 times. I found that it helped me to notice when I no longer felt like eating.
    I also shifted my way of feeling about food. Eat to live not live to eat.
    If you take one thing from this letter just take the No Distractions while Eating. Might help to change your way of thinking about food.
  • owlwomyn
    owlwomyn Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    OMG..you need to change the location of your desk or the "Treat Desk." I also get these constant cravings at times and find myself "counting the minutes." One thing that sometimes helps ime s to drink a large quantity of water (in large gulps)...get up, take a walk, change your routine, clear your head and drink more water! :-)
  • c_turner
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice peep i really appreciate it! I forgot to mention that i drink at least 5 litres of water a day :happy: Again it comes down to eating because i want to taste it not because i am hungry. Changing the way i look at food is probably my best option, i must admit i do live to eat not eat to live at the moment. Im always wondering where my next meal will come from. Has anyone read any good literature advice that they have found helps? I will check the ones already suggested out.

xx
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    This is my problem, I am always thinking about food. I cannot even bring in an afternoon snack to work as I will eat it straight after lunch even if I am not hungry. Luckily I never been a big breakfast eater so find myself commencing eating at noon which helps keep my calories in check.

Unfortunately there is no magical cure (that I know of) but I read somewhere that a new habit takes 2 weeks to form, so if you excercise willpower for 2 weeks it will become easier.