Dealing with anaemia and exercise!

Options
I've been ill for the last 2 weeks, vomitting, dizziness lack of energy etc and the Dr. did blood tests on Friday, results came back today that I have anaemia. I've had anaemia plenty of times before over the last 2 years but never whilst trying to lose weight.

I know for now gym is out of the question because I keep getting dizzy and the Dr doesnt want to rule anything out at this stage (have to go for a few more tests at the end of the week) but I would love to continue on the right path food wise.

Anyone have any ideas on the sorts of foods I should eat / avoid to help me and also any light exercises I can keep up with at home while I wait for these extra tests to be carried out?

I'm just so used to going to the gym anything else is completely new to me!!

Replies

• skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I am also anaemic and have been for years. I have health issues that make it hard for me to keep the iron I have. So I understand how you feel. Dark green vegies are great for iron. Spinach (raw is best) and asperagus(steamed). I have also switched to using cast iron skillits to do all my cooking as some of the iron will seep into my food and that helps for me to get that trace amount that I wouldn't other wise be getting. I have also heard it is very bad to use teflon coated pans. So I would go with the stainless steal or cast iron. I also know that your body needs vitamin C in order to abosorb iron properly. I take iron pills and drink a glass of orange juice to wash it down. The orange juice also helps to keep the iron from making you nausious.
    As for exercise I would suggest going for walks or while sitting down anyware try pulling your tummy in as much as you can and holding it that way for 10 seconds, release and do this again for 10 reps. I do this several times a day. IT will help to tone up your stomach and back a little, while burning some calories. :) I also do but squeezes, while sitting you just tighten your but like you are trying to hold in a bad poop and hold for 10 seconds and release, repeat for ten reps several times a day. While standing in line anywear you could go from standing flat footed to up on your tipi toes over and over. NOt much but these are simple ideas that pretty much everyone can do and most people wont even know you are sneaking in exercise. You could also put some ankle weights on and walk around in those all day. Just some little tips to not over due yourself but at least give you something. I would love to hear if these work for you at all and what you think about them. GOOD LUCK>
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! Really appreciated - had no idea about the pans - all mine are teflon so will look at changing these striaght away! And hadn't even thought of walking because I have been so dizzy, but maybe a light to moderate walk in the local park would certainly help! I always wondered about orange juice and oranges because I had read today that they are good for iron but my dr warned my off citrus foods for now due to sickness which is being treated seperately, but Ive been craving an orange all day so might just have one and see!

Will also try out the exercises and certainly let you know how I get on!!
  • diverdi
    diverdi Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Don't have too much tea as well as it blocks iron absorption. Red meats and fortified breakfast cereals are all good sources of iron too.