Why I stopped telling folks about mfp.

Options

Replies

• riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    But I have found that everyone wants a magic pill to lose weight. When they ask me how I've lost the weight and I say eating right, working out and mfp, they look disappointed. lol.

Those who are serious about wanting to change their lives will stick with it, while those who just want a quick fix will quit. God told me to get fit, and He led me to this wonderful tool. I'm so excited because I finally found the thing that works for me - MFP. I share this with people who I believe would be interested and could benefit from this community. But I let them know they have to make the effort...I can't do it for them.
  • annams76
    annams76 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've told a couple of people about it but most of my friends either don't care or get upset when they see how bad they are really eating or worse they lie when they see the truth. I asked my husband to join but he does his own thing. I don't really have support on here but I guess I can say I am doing this for me and so I can live longer for my daughter. I guess motivation always has to come from inside yourself but it is really nice when you have other people to let you know how well you are doing and encouraging you to not quit.
  • Ravyn1982
    Ravyn1982 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I found out about this site from a friend and have been here almost consistently had a few hiccups the first few months but that was just getting used to the idea.

I told my brother and his wife but they don't seem to think its a good idea to use a site like this one. I wish they would though, might get them off the yoyo dieting that they've been doing for so long.

But I also understand not wanting a whole lot of people from your everyday life on here cause sometimes I do let thing sout on here that I wouldn't want them to know about.
  • MyBeautyIsSkinDeep
    Options
    I tell people about it, but never give my name to them.

I like that MFP is MY site. It's where I come to talk about the things I don't talk about to work acquaintences, etc. If I told everyone about it, I would be less inclined to be so open.

I protect my space, and I'm aware that it's selfish, but I need to do this for me.

I can really relate to this comment!! It is a safe place for me to open up to people that have the same goals !! To get that support that we all need and want !! Personally I dont even share this account with Facebook or any other sites out there this is for my own selfish reasons !! This IS MY SAFETY GOUND!!!
  • bbgirl
    bbgirl Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    That's exactly why I only have my MFP family. No real life friends either. I hear you.:smile:
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    My co-worker told me about this site. She never goes on and I am on
    faithfully and lost weight. Their loss LOL:tongue:
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I learned from this site from my work when they were doing a biggest loser challenge. But the people who were participating at the beginning no longer use the site. Figures.

I have one coworker/close friend who uses the site, but I don't think she's as diligent about it as we are.
  • Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    ive told one friend who said he was wanting to get his diet etc on traack and he hasnt looked at it since...im very disappointed in him, but on the other hand another of my friends(pmacl007) was the one who got me started on here so i guess its totally upto the ppl if they wana take the right road lol.

most of my family are aware im using this site and theyr supportive but moan that im getn thinner lol i just tell them to get on the site for themselves hahaha :D

best wishes to all

Kirstie x
  • feedmybongos
    Options
    I definitely agree with people about not telling everyone about your plans and ideas for weight loss. It's great if you have a spouse or partner who can support you (I'm so grateful to mine for listening to me bang on about how great MFP is) but so many people think so differently about their weight, that conversations with them can, I find, be discouraging.

I've given up smoking several times in the past, and I always made a big deal out of it to friends. Which meant that we would always end up talking about it and my progress (or lack thereof) was being judged by people other than myself, which is not what it's about for me.

I'm pleased to say that I have now quit smoking. I went cold turkey (I was ready for it) but I just didn't tell anyone unless they asked. And it's the same for me with weight loss. I have always 'struggled' with my weight. I love food, I love cooking, and I am prone to obsessing about things and overthinking, especially when I have an audience. It once took me 20 minutes of arguing with myself to decide whether or not to order a pizza!

Some people don't have the same relationship with food, and so I don't really think they'd ever be able to understand why MFP and the control that it provides is SO important, to me at least.

Anyway, I'm sorry for the long post—just wanted to say each to their own, and I'm very grateful for the ability to come on here and talk to/read about other people doing the same stuff. It gives me confidence, hope, and takes away the isolation that can come with feeling uncomfortable in yourself.

Good luck with your goals everyone!

Will
  • Stefani74
    Stefani74 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Two of my only friends that care about losing weight and being healthy are already on here!! The rest of my friends could care less. I get crap at work about eating healthy, looking at how many calories are in something, turning down goodies people bring in...and exercising. My family is just as bad...no one wants to put out the effort to be healthy. If someone I know does get serious about wanting to try to lose weight and exercise, I will mention it to them. Haven't seen one of them yet!
  • cyfairslam
    cyfairslam Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was just talking about this with a friend. I am tired of hearing about everyone on here talking about how they screwed up today and "oh well tomorrow is another day." Well I used to say that my whole life, and it just got be fatter and fatter and fatter. But for the last 5 months I never once said that and I really like it- LOL!

Amen to that ....me too.
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    I've made several attempts to encourage friends to join MFP; and many of them do, but they fizzle out pretty quickly. See, they want a fad diet, a diet that will allow them to drop 15 pounds in a week, the kind of diet that shows quick results just to make them feel like they've done something without really doing anything. When they experience what it really takes to lose the weight the right way, it boggles their minds. They become disoriented and fearful and skeptical; and then when they're overridden with the guilt of failure, they just start making fun of the fact that I'm using MFP. So, I've learned CPR and how to use the defibrillator at the end of the hallway because some of them are only a few cheese burgers away from death.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I agree with most people that have replied here. It's a very personal thing, not everyone gets it. I don't want my journey to be everyone's business (aside from everyone here). If someone wants to ask me about it, fine. But I don't want all my dirty laundry aired and judgments coming at me the way it would like if this was Facebook.
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    A friend told me about this web site when I asked her how she had lost the weight, and I consider her telling me about MFP to be a tremendous favor. HOWEVER, when she first told me about it, I wasn't committed to making the effort to lose the weight, so I did nothing about it. Months later I went back to her and asked her again for the site name. I created an account, and it seemed like someone flipped a switch inside of me: I was ready, I was committed, and I'm making it happen. I guess people just have to reach that point for themselves. But MFP has been the key to everything happening for me.

I understand that many of us want MFP to be a part of our lives separate from other things (e.g., work). I'm just trying to say that you might never know when telling someone about MFP will actually be the turning point for that person, as it was for me. It might be the biggest favor you ever do for them.
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    I'm a newb around here but I absolutely understand to OP's pov. I would recommend this site to a ton of people I know but then again, there is zero point in doing so. You can only lead a horse to water. I led myself here...one of my bff's told me about this site. As soon as I realized how easy it was to use and how truly easy it is to make a cumulative effort to improve all aspects of my choices to live a healthier life I was totally -in it-. She joked how I've taken off using this site and she was the one who introduced me to it...but I only needed a simple framework from which to work with to get where I want to go. As well as my own serious commitment. A lot of people don't have that or may never get there.
  • ValleyDiva
    Options
    I also agree with you, I have told others and even posted the link on my facebook page. I know when they are truly ready to make a change and start to see the change in me then they will begin to search out what will be my secret from now on. I shared it with them at the beginning of the year because I wanted to see all my friends and family begin the journey to a healthy lifestyle, but I know like life you can lead them to the water but you can't make them drink. Smooches-DIVA:love:
  • kathvg
    kathvg Posts: 68
    Options
    I like to think of it as my dirty little secret :) Besides, I hold nothing back on here, and some of that stuff would be better left unsaid to people I really know... like my starting weight.

i agree 100%
    the only people in my day to day life that know my actual weight is my younger sister and myself.
    i'm just not compfortable discussing my current weight with my friends at this point...
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Your not the only person that has happen to, you know the old saying you can lead the horse to the water but you can't make him drink. this truly is every man for himself. But don't give up, you never know whom you may be a blessing too.
  • SyreetaJayne1
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. I have told so many people about this site after they ask me about my weight loss and working out. But I have found that everyone wants a magic pill to lose weight. When they ask me how I've lost the weight and I say eating right, working out and mfp, they look disappointed. lol.

hehehehe, same here LOL

I did tell a friend about it though and he took it and ran with it and has lost almost 40 pounds doing it (darn guys LOL). I introduced my hubby to it, when he began to show curiousity over why i was losing weight and he wasn't. i set up an account for him and he's lost 22 pounds (darn guys again LOL)!!!
  • Randee75
    Randee75 Posts: 234
    Options
    I so agree............Its working great for me and I joined 36 days ago and guess what I have logged on for 36 days in a row. I am in this with 110% commitment on good days and bad!!!