fear of dentist and wisdom teeth

Options
peej76
peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
Ok, I don't think I can avoid it anymore, these wisdom teeth have got to come out!! They hurt so bad! But I am deathly afraid of the dentist, and haven't gone since I was off my dad's benefits, I take good care of my teeth, and have never had a toothache, but this is crazy. For the longest time they would come up then go back down again. But now they are up and killing me.

I have been getting headaches ever since I started maternity leave, and I have been on the computer alot, and reading alot, so I always thought I may have bad eyes, and just need reading glasses, but now I'm wondering if it's my teeth!

I also have a sinus headache today too, maybe that's why it hurts!!!

But who has had their wisdom teeth out, what did it entail? Will they put me to sleep (hopefully), will it hurt? I am good about putting up with pain after the fact but not during! I had three babies with no drugs so my pain threshold is not too bad, I am just scared of the dentist!!!!!!

Replies

• peej76
    Options
    Ok, I don't think I can avoid it anymore, these wisdom teeth have got to come out!! They hurt so bad! But I am deathly afraid of the dentist, and haven't gone since I was off my dad's benefits, I take good care of my teeth, and have never had a toothache, but this is crazy. For the longest time they would come up then go back down again. But now they are up and killing me.

I have been getting headaches ever since I started maternity leave, and I have been on the computer alot, and reading alot, so I always thought I may have bad eyes, and just need reading glasses, but now I'm wondering if it's my teeth!

I also have a sinus headache today too, maybe that's why it hurts!!!

But who has had their wisdom teeth out, what did it entail? Will they put me to sleep (hopefully), will it hurt? I am good about putting up with pain after the fact but not during! I had three babies with no drugs so my pain threshold is not too bad, I am just scared of the dentist!!!!!!
  • Kimosabe
    Kimosabe Posts: 71
    Options
    Well let's see, I have good news and bad news.

Good news is they will put you to sleep, IF they HAVE NOT erupted :happy:

Bad news is they will only numb your mouth, IF they HAVE erupted :sad:

So I would ask your dentist about it, maybe they can accommidate you:wink:
  • fatsis
    fatsis Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Get it done. It is not that bad. U will wonder why U did not do it sooner afterwords.
  • peej76
    Options

uhhhh, what do you mean erupted (even more scared lol) I thought only appendix erupted!
  • HOOVEY17
    HOOVEY17 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I just had mine out and I was scared to death, but it was worth it!! The pain was unbearable!! The vicodin wasn't bad either! =)
  • jillholleysmith
    jillholleysmith Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    When I had my wisdom teeth removed, the dentist used anesthesia to put me completely under. All I had to do was get the IV. The next thing I remember, they were waking me up from a really great nap. Two of my teeth had come partially through and the other 2 were impacted.

If you are that scared of the dentist, just make sure you find one who will put you out. It will cost more, but if it bothers you that bad, it might be worth the extra money. Keep looking until you find one that will do what you want. It is, after all, your mouth. Don't worry!
  • greeneyes490
    greeneyes490 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth taken out at the same time and I was fully awake during it......they gave me a tylenol before I went in the room and then gave me a few needles......and honestly all I felt was pressure....kinda like if someone was pushing down on your head....no pain at all....just some pressure......what I would recommend if you are going to be awake for it...is to keep your eyes closed .....you'll just have to trust on that one :).....but honestly don't worry about...i am the most frightened person in the world when it comes to doctors, dentists, needles etc.....and this was not bad at all....I would say the worst part is the days afterwards......not being able to eat real food and some soreness (but drugs should help with that)......so just go for it and get it over with...you will be happy you did.....good luck.....

cathy
  • peej76
    Options
    I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth taken out at the same time and I was fully awake during it......they gave me a tylenol before I went in the room and then gave me a few needles......and honestly all I felt was pressure....kinda like if someone was pushing down on your head....no pain at all....just some pressure......what I would recommend if you are going to be awake for it...is to keep your eyes closed .....you'll just have to trust on that one :).....but honestly don't worry about...i am the most frightened person in the world when it comes to doctors, dentists, needles etc.....and this was not bad at all....I would say the worst part is the days afterwards......not being able to eat real food and some soreness (but drugs should help with that)......so just go for it and get it over with...you will be happy you did.....good luck.....

cathy
    Will definitley be keeping my eyes closed lol!! Not eating for a few days might come in handy j/k!! Thanks, I think I'll be making an appt soon!
  • LML79
    LML79 Posts: 697
    Options
    Get it done.. really..it's not bad.. I have had two taken out at one time..and two taken out another...always impacted so they knock me out.. I am a little weird though.. I like going to the dentist and NEVER miss my 6 mo appointment and cleaning.. Just really want to take care of my pearly whites while I have em!
  • Kimosabe
    Kimosabe Posts: 71
    Options

uhhhh, what do you mean erupted (even more scared lol) I thought only appendix erupted!

No worries, erupted only means that they have already came through. Impacted means they haven't come up and out yet. But i do agree if you are that scared definitly ask your dentist to put you under, it never hurts to ask.:happy: