Blueberry Muffins

Options
Wizzle
Wizzle Posts: 97 Member
Hey Guys,

My fiancé’s mom just gave me lbs of fresh blueberries she picked. I want to make blueberry muffins, but I can't really find a healthy recipe on the internet for them. I was hoping someone on here might know of one.

Thanks in advance! :smile:

Replies

• Wizzle
    Options
    Hey Guys,

My fiancé’s mom just gave me lbs of fresh blueberries she picked. I want to make blueberry muffins, but I can't really find a healthy recipe on the internet for them. I was hoping someone on here might know of one.

Thanks in advance! :smile:
  • harperjmichael
    Options
    :wink: Make Smoothies with them :wink:
  • ambertimmons21
    ambertimmons21 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    118 calories per muffin

Ingredients
    1 cup unsweetened blueberries (fresh or frozen)
    1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (I use the "unbleached" kind)
    2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/3 cup Splenda granular
    1/4 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute (equals 1 egg)
    1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1/2 cup nonfat milk (skim)
    1 tablespoon Splenda granular (to top muffins)
    Directions
    1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
    2Lightly spray muffin tin with non-stick spray (I've found that paper muffin holders do not peel away from these muffins easily).
    3Wash and drain blueberries. Set aside. If using frozen blueberries, thaw before using.
    4In large bowl, sift flour. Add baking powder and the 1/3 cup Splenda. Mix together.
    5In another bowl, mix the Egg Beater egg substitute, apple sauce and milk.
    6Combine the wet mixture into the flour mixture. Stir just enough to blend (electric mixers aren't really necessary). Gently fold in the blueberries.
    7Pour batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling each cup about 2/3 full. Use the last tablespoon of Splenda to sprinkle on top of each muffin (this adds zero calories and has zero fat) and bake for 17 minutes, or until tops are light brown.
    8After baking, allow muffins to cool before removing them from the tin. Please note: 1 serving = 1 muffin. Enjoy
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I used to make these ALL the time. Dang, are they good!!!

Splenda blueberry muffins

Ingredients
    1 cup fresh blueberries or frozen blueberries (I usually used frozen blueberries)
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 cup light margarine, softened
    1 cup Splenda granular (depending on how sweet you want the muffins, you can cut the splenda back to 1/2 cup)
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup honey
    1/2 cup skim milk
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    2 large eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    Directions
    1 Sift flour,baking powder and salt together.
    2 In another bowl, beat margarine, splenda granular and honey with electric mixer until fluffy.
    3 Beat in eggs one at a time, add vanilla.
    4 Alternately stir in flour and milk.
    5 When blended, fold in berries.
    6 Spoon batter into paper lined or greased muffin cups.
    7 Bake until golden in a preheated oven at 350f degrees for about 25 to 30 minutes.
    8 Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing.

Nutrition Facts for 1 muffin:
    Calories 146
    Calories from Fat 11
    Amount Per Serving
    Total Fat 1.3g
    Saturated Fat 0.4g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.4g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.3g
    Trans Fat 0.0g
    Cholesterol 42mg
    Sodium 269mg
    Potassium 78mg
    Total Carbohydrate 29.2g
    Dietary Fiber 1.0g
    Sugars 8.6g
    Protein 4.5g
  • Wizzle
    Options
    Hey thanks. These all look really great. I am going to bake up a muffin storm tonight. Oh, and the smoothie idea was a good one. I did not think of that.
  • jillholleysmith
    jillholleysmith Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you have extra blueberries that you don't know what to do with, try freezing them. Wash well and let dry. Place on a pan (like a large cookie sheet) in a single layer. Place pan in freezer. Once completely frozen, you can put the blueberries in a storage container or zippered bag and store them in the freezer. Then you have fresh blueberries to use all year long. This works with all kinds of berries. Enjoy!
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Here are 2 websites that I frequently use for great recipes:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/diet-recipes/?s=blueberry