Protein

Options
Hi there :smile: Can anybody tell me if too much protein can affect weight loss? My giude is 45 a day and I do tend to hit approximately 20 over each day. My meals are usually ceareal in the morning, A lean cut of meat with a salad or sandwich at lunchtime and again, usually a lean type of meat for the family evening meal. I do not go over on Carbs or Fat, but my protein is always over. Is this slowing my weight loss down, and do any of you lovely MFP's have a solution if it does? :smile:

Replies

• bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    You have lost 15.4 lbs since August, so I feel that you are doing well on your calories. Protien is good for muscle growth, which is a result of the exercising you are probably doing right now. If you are not going over your calories, then extra protien is not bad. Just remember to drink plenty of water, since protien by-products need to be rinsed out of the body. :drinker: (lots of water)
  • Pressly
    Options
    HI there...my name is Ann......and No, extra protein will not hender your weightloss, it will HELP. If I were you I would add a complete protein such as egg whites or whey protein to your breakfast instead of just cereal. Cereal alone could be hendering your weighloss. Give me a litle more info about that meal and I can help you! Have a wonderful day.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I would say going over isn't a huge deal as long as you are getting a decent balance of everything else. Since we know people are able to lose weight on high protein diets I would think it's fine as long as you are in good health otherwise. Too much protein can put a strain on the organs but I don't think you are anywhere near the daily intake that it would require to cause problems. Granted, I'm not a professional so if you are truly concerned, ask your doctor.

IMO, you are doing great! :smile:
  • DoneWithTheFatGirl
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I'm always over my protein, as well as fiber. As long as you're working out, it's being put to use for muscle repair and for building lean muscle.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I found the protein numbers that MFP initially provided to be very low, so I changed mine. I try for around 80-100g a day.