Sugar

Options
I recently cut out candy and desert food just to get sugar out of my system - I get mad cravings! I've added lots of fruit though and go over my daily goal all the time. Is this a problem eventhough the sugars are natural?

Replies

• lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    No problem at all if it is from natural sources. Keep in mind your total daily portions though as an entire bag of apples is too much but a few fruit servings per day is perfect!
  • edinat
    edinat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I wonder that too, many people say it doesnt matter its natural sugar, some say that MFP cant differentiate which sugars it is...but like yesterday i tried only eating 2-3 fruits, and i had carrots and cucumber instead of a fruit snack, i tried cutting out fruit and adding more veggies, and guess what i went over 48g of sugar, the carrots had a bunch of "sugar" ......and then like if i eat cabbage that makes it go over too...

SO I DONT KNOW, i wish i can get a answer form a expert...
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    "natural" sugars are actually no better than sucrose. both are equal in how they break down, they all turn straight to glucose in the body along with other carbs.

but! there are so many wonderful nutrients and vitamins in fruit that it is not a big issue to worry about. fruit is loaded with the good stuff and breaksdown slower. and has the wonderful benefit of fiber:]

I watch my sugar as well, only because it gives me mad cravings too. for that reason I only eat about 1 serving of fruit a day. Usually the high fiber ones like raspberries
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Obviously fruit is better for you than cookies and such. And natural sugars are found in other foods as well. Keep focused on eating clean foods, minimized processed foods and balance out the fruits with the veggies. The cravings will subside. Great job cutting out the processed sugars!
  • bosanka
    bosanka Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    If you are going to choose between candy and fruit- sure- no brainer there.

If you are trying to lose weight- and control your sugar cravings- and - your " hunger " /insulin spikes- you need to watch your sugar- no matter where it comes from.

Carbs are - basically sugar- it's too long to explain but you can research it - how carbs affect your insulin spikes- how you end up hungry because of it.. etc.

I have been kidding myself more than 18 months !!! - with " but it's healthy sugar it comes from ... fruits/ healthy yogurts etc " - the only thing i have lost - is 18 months time- no pounds and i didn't feel good.

Since i have started monitoring my sugar- meaning- monitoring my carbs as well - i feel much much better - and my doctor told me the " puffines " i had is gone .. i look better even without losing that much weight.

i'm not saying- don't eat fruits.. all i'm saying- if you want results you need to watch out for the amount of sugar and carbs you are getting.. and while i was " loading " myself with fruits i didn't really eat that much veggies.. now i have no option but to eat veggies- and you develop different taste ..

good luck
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I like your advice bosanka. I've been noticing that almost every day I eat about 10 grams more sugar than MFP says I'm supposed to eat. I get frustrated because I don't eat cookies or candy or anything that has "sugar" in it... but I still go over. I do eat a lot of fruit and bread, though. I'll make it a new goal to watch my sugar.
  • derbygirl90
    Options
    If you are going to choose between candy and fruit- sure- no brainer there.

If you are trying to lose weight- and control your sugar cravings- and - your " hunger " /insulin spikes- you need to watch your sugar- no matter where it comes from.

Carbs are - basically sugar- it's too long to explain but you can research it - how carbs affect your insulin spikes- how you end up hungry because of it.. etc.

I have been kidding myself more than 18 months !!! - with " but it's healthy sugar it comes from ... fruits/ healthy yogurts etc " - the only thing i have lost - is 18 months time- no pounds and i didn't feel good.

Since i have started monitoring my sugar- meaning- monitoring my carbs as well - i feel much much better - and my doctor told me the " puffines " i had is gone .. i look better even without losing that much weight.

i'm not saying- don't eat fruits.. all i'm saying- if you want results you need to watch out for the amount of sugar and carbs you are getting.. and while i was " loading " myself with fruits i didn't really eat that much veggies.. now i have no option but to eat veggies- and you develop different taste ..

good luck

Shoot! I've been kiddingmyself too! I've been eating so much fruit....at least I'm making the right step by replacing deserts w/ fruit. Next step, cut down on the fruit.
    I must be really puffy! (I hope so at least!)