Combining P90X and Insanity

mlb929
mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I am in week 9 of P90X and just ordered Insanity. My Insanity should arrive today. Is it best to finish P90X completely before starting Insanity, or can I combine both now? Just increase my work out time, doing one then the other.

I'm wanting to run a 1/2 marathon in April, and haven't gotten much training in because of weather, I'm running on weekends and hopefully an evening or two.

I just don't want to overtrain and fatigue. I ran 5 miles on Saturday and my legs are still more sore than I anticipated they would be.

Replies

• ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    I reccomend finishing P90X. THen do Insanity on its own then after finishing that I would combin them. Otherwise it may be way to much for you
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    You can begin to combine both if you'd like. This is my hybrid schedule and I also run at least twice a week at lunch time and on the weekends. Insanity is harder on the knees, so just listen to your body.

Weeks 1-3:
    Day 1 - Chest and Back, Ab Ripper X
    Day 2 – P90X Plyometrics
    Day 3 - Shoulders and Arms, Ab Ripper X
    Day 4 – Max Recovery
    Day 5 – Insanity Max Interval Circuit
    Day 6 – Max Cardio/Cardio Abs
    Day 7 – Rest or X Stretch

Week 4, 8, & 12 (Recovery Week):
    Day 1 - Core Synergistics
    Day 2 – Max Cardio Recovery
    Day 3 – Insanity Cardio Recovery/cardio abs
    Day 4 – Core Synergistics
    Day 5 - Core Cardio and Balance
    Day 6 - Yoga X

Weeks 5,6,7:
    Day 1 - Chest, Shoulders and Triceps, Ab Ripper X
    Day 2 – P90X plyometrics
    Day 3 - Back and Biceps, Ab Ripper X
    Day 4 – P90X Core Synergistics
    Day 5 – Max Interval Circuit
    Day 6 - Max Cardio Conditioning, Cardio Abs

Weeks 9,10,11:
    Day 1 - Shoulders and Arms, Ab Ripper X
    Day 2 - Insanity Max Interval Plyo
    Day 3 - Back and Biceps, Ab Ripper X
    Day 4 – Insaniy Core Cardio & Balance
    Day 5 - Insanity Max Interval Circuit
    Day 6 - Max Cardio Conditioning, Cardio Abs
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Insanity will help build your endurance which will be very helpful with running
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    I'm in my 2nd week of Insanity and just starting to add some light runs (to start) 3x a week. I've never tried P90X but can't imagine doing both! I did some research between the 2 and decided to go with Insanity since more than a few reviews said it was helpful with running. I can see why...definite cardio! I'm also going to do my first 1/2 in April and am hoping the Insanity will help.
  • annams76
    annams76 Posts: 161 Member
    Myself and my husband just tried last night to start Insanity after we did P90X in the morning. Not a good idea at all...I hurt so bad today. We decided right after the fit test was done that we will come back to Insanity when we are done with P90X.
  • bitty1taz
    bitty1taz Posts: 309 Member
    I can't even think of doing either one right now. I've seen the commercials and want to order the Insanity, but don't have the money for it. (got laid off in Dec.) Good luck to everyone and I admire you all for being able to do either one. At some point I'll be able to.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    I can't even think of doing either one right now. I've seen the commercials and want to order the Insanity, but don't have the money for it. (got laid off in Dec.) Good luck to everyone and I admire you all for being able to do either one. At some point I'll be able to.

I hope you find work very soon. You might want to check with your local library to see if they have P90X. That is what I'm hearing from a few people.
This discussion has been closed.