Homemade Greek Yogurt

Options
I love Home made Greek Yogurt and have been making it for awhile now. The only problem is I can't seem to find approximate calorie count on it. I make it with 2% milk(I have an aversion..lol..to skim). It's a great source of protein. I would assume the calories would be different from that of straight milk since the whey is strained out. Can anyone give me some sort of approximate calorie count?

Replies

• elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    I'm not sure on a count but how do you make it...I would like to try it. Can you try entering the ingredients in the recipe calculator for a total?
  • mfkfoster
    mfkfoster Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    How do you make the greek yogurt I would love to find out!
  • Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    How do you make the greek yogurt I would love to find out!

ME TOO!!!!! Can u post the recipie somewhere for us???? Pretty Pretty PLEASE!!!!!! LOL
  • BK120
    BK120 Posts: 107
    Options
    Bumping - interested in the recipe as well.
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Bumping - interested in the recipe as well.

me 2!:happy:
  • dtrm88
    dtrm88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would love to try this recipe. Please post it!
  • monstertwelve
    Options
    same!
  • Lesliet05
    Options
    did you put it in the recipe section and see what it came up with????
  • suzi67
    suzi67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • cmyrick75
    cmyrick75 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm interested too! I love the Greek Gods Organic greek yogurt and I substitute it for sour cream (as well as eat it plain as yogurt) so I would love love love to know how to make it myself!!
  • rodegghero
    rodegghero Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    One way to cheat making great yogurt is to buy plain unsweetened ypgurt, dump the whole thing in aaa strainerl lined with cheese cloth twist the cloth and cover. Put the strainer on top of a bowl. Put the whole bowl in the fridge over night. The whey will drain into the bowl and what is left in the cheese cloth is greek yogurt.
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Let me be the first to apologize for any confusion with my following recipe for the Greek Yogurt...! I cannot find the website but have memorized what I do!

I pour a gallon of milk in my Crock pot and heat on high until the milk reaches 180 degrees F. I then turn it off until the temp hits between 115 to 120 degrees. Then I mix a little of the heated milk into about a cup of storebought plain yogurt. Then it is poured back into the crock pot and stirred. Put the lid back on and wrap in towels (to keep the temp. steady) for a few hours and Ta Da! It s yogurt...should look like a mix gelled yogurt and whey. If you mix them together you have a ton of plain yogurt. OR you can strain it in a cheesecloth, coffee filter, or paper towel lined strainer over a bowl from 30 minutes to several hours(in the fridge). This will result in a delicious greek yogurt. The longer the straining, the thicker your yogurt will be. I have a tendency to start in the early afternoon one day with the crockpot so that when I strain it, I do it overnight so I wake up to a fresh bowl. Just spoon it into air tight containers and it will last for up to a month in the fridge.....

Once again this process is SUPER EASY BUT I HOPE MY POOR ABILITY TO USE WORDS DID NOT CONFUSE ANYBODY...LOL GOOD LUCK!

oH AND ONCE YOU START MAKING IT YOU CAN USE YOUR OWN YOGURT AS A STARTER FOR YOUR NEXT BATCH.
    For those of you buying yogurt constantly, you will save tons of money overall. Google homemade yogurt and you will find a range of ways to flavor it.
  • ChelseaRW
    Options
    Also...lol . I am new to the web site...what does BUMPING mean?:embarassed:
  • Suzeesmu
    Suzeesmu Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I love Home made Greek Yogurt and have been making it for awhile now. The only problem is I can't seem to find approximate calorie count on it. I make it with 2% milk(I have an aversion..lol..to skim). It's a great source of protein. I would assume the calories would be different from that of straight milk since the whey is strained out. Can anyone give me some sort of approximate calorie count?

Use the recipe/calorie calculator in the food section of MFP. You add the ingredients you use, how many servings and MFP calculates everything for you - I use it all the time!
  • Suzeesmu
    Suzeesmu Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I found another recipe for Greek yogurt on the internet - don't know if it's as good - haven't made either but plan too! Thanks for the recipe Chelsea!

http://www.food.com/recipe/make-your-own-greek-yoghurt-168780
  • ChelseaRW
    Options
    Thanks on the recipe section suggestion....I just wasn't sure how to figure for the"bacteria"(the good bacteria that makes the proteins in the yogurt) I make a gallon at a time and the only ingredients are 1 gallon of milk and 1 cup of plain yogurt...plus the good bacteria that grows, minus the whey? LOL. I may give up and just keep estimating as store bought 2 percent yogurt...just wasn't sure if they'd be close in calorie count.
  • ChelseaRW
    Options
    Found the website! Love the easiness of crockpot cooking!

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html
  • stellcorb
    stellcorb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Elmo14
    Elmo14 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    bump:happy:
  • TreeDee63
    TreeDee63 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to try it!! Bump!!