Advice for new runner

grumpyswife123
grumpyswife123 Posts: 42
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi, I just recently (about two weeks) started running and I need some advice. I seem to run out of breath quickly. I run for maybe two blocks before I have to stop, catch my breath and start again. How long will it be before I can run a whole mile without stopping?
I have been power walking since September, 6 times a week, 3 miles a day.

Thanks in advance:smile:

Replies

• jackier19
    jackier19 Posts: 24 Member
    I'm in the same boat! I just started feeling good enough and I want to incorporate running into my workout schedule! I just don't know where to start. Lol.
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    bump
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Start slowly, and combine jogging and walking. Google couch to 5k, great beginners program.
  • justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Check out the C25K program. It is for beginner runners and it's excellent. I purchased the app for my ipod touch for like $2. I know there are other versions too. Some even free I think. After 9 weeks I went from barely running a block to running a full 5K nonstop.
  • megteg
    megteg Posts: 97 Member
    I HIGHLY recommend a starter running program like Couch to 5k. Google, and you'll find lots of advice, podcasts to download...I have an app on my phone I use for it. It's a 9 week program that takes you from 0 to 30 minutes of straight running. It totally works! I'm on week 6 now. When I started, I could barely run for a minute. I just ran my first 25 minute run yesterday in over 4 years!!

The reason C25k (and similar programs) are so great is because it's so daunting to a new runner to start to just run straight for too long. You can also build up injuries that way by pushing yourself too hard when your body isn't ready yet.

That's my advice - Good luck with your training! Keep it up - you'll get there.
  • Aspynmom
    Aspynmom Posts: 166 Member
    You have to learn to regulate your breathing...remember, you're jogging, so you are GOING to breathe faster regardless. The Army taught me how to breathe with my steps. For example, depending on how fast you are going, try taking a breath in over 3 steps, then exhale over 3 steps. It worked for me and then it just became habit!

And the C25K program is GREAT!
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    The best thing to do as you get started is interval training. What that means is alternate running and walking. Start easy - run 2 minutes and walk 1 (but MAKE yourself run the 2; trust me, you can do it). As that gets easier, increase to 3/1, then 4/1, etc. Before you know it, you'll be running 2-3 miles at a time.

Also - and I can't stress this enough - go get a GOOD pair of running shoes. Don't just go down to any old store and buy something that looks cool. Go to a shoe store that specializes in running and have them fit you. Make a HUGE difference. Only wear your running shoes when you run. They'll last longer.

Hope this helps. I'm not an expert by any means, but my wife runs half-marathons and I'm in my triathlon training and have gotten up to running 3-4 miles at a time. You can do it!! Good luck!!
  • cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    Another very enthusiastic vote for the Couch to 5K. I'm in week five and today I ran three intervals of a half mile each and it was not hard for me at all. And just for perspective I need to lose 100 lbs. so if I can do it anyone can!
  • kate205gti
    kate205gti Posts: 84 Member
    coach to 5k rocks :happy: tips i find useful are keep head and chest up, look into the distance and "zone out" and if youre breathing too hard just slow down - even if youre jogging at walking pace youre still jogging :) hth!
  • The best thing to do as you get started is interval training. What that means is alternate running and walking. Start easy - run 2 minutes and walk 1 (but MAKE yourself run the 2; trust me, you can do it). As that gets easier, increase to 3/1, then 4/1, etc. Before you know it, you'll be running 2-3 miles at a time.

Also - and I can't stress this enough - go get a GOOD pair of running shoes. Don't just go down to any old store and buy something that looks cool. Go to a shoe store that specializes in running and have them fit you. Make a HUGE difference. Only wear your running shoes when you run. They'll last longer.

Well said on both counts!
    Interval training has really helped me out more than i can say! And initially when i started running i was using the wrong shoes, the wrong shoes size (for running- YES it makes a difference) and finally went and got fitted and measured, they even analyzed my "gait" as i ran looked at my arches to get me the best shoe for MY foot.

Getting properly fitted didnt cost anything either. Definitely take the time to go have it done, you won't regret it.
  • Thank You everyone. There are some great tips here. I will check out couch to 5K. I love the support here. You are a great bunch :love:
This discussion has been closed.