I struggle to eat the right foods

Options
Hey everyone, just looking for a bit of advice when it comes to the right foods to eat for my main meal.
I'm 22 and live with my partner who's 23 and a very fussy eater! We tend to eat the same things every week as he doesn't like change and plays loads of football (soccer) so never worries about his waistline.
Quite alot of our meals tend to be frozen (like frozen fish etc. not ready meals) with chips (fries) or mashed potato.
Neither of us are big lovers of veg but I would like to try and get more into our diets.

Does anyone recommend any meals that are easy (as I work full time so I'm not that great in the kitchen yet) and are healthy but tasty?

I'm under my calorie goal most of the time but know I could eat alot better. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Replies

• autumn5gabby
    Options
    Have you ever tryed stir frys. You could make them with chicken or beef and choose your veggies and gradually add different ones. How about spagetthi or tacos try using turkey instead of hambuger.
  • misshenn78
    Options
    I too am really picky!! However, the easiest thing I have found I've been doing is baking chicken or baking porkchops. You can choose a light side along with it, and your b/f can have something else. Super simple, spice it up just a little bit - and throw in the oven at 375-400 for 30 mins - easy peasy!
  • mmcgille
    mmcgille Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My favorite quick meal is spaghetti. We make our own sauce with lots of veggies pureed into it - carrots, onions, mushrooms, canned crushed tomatoes and sometimes some squash or a little bit of spinach. Add some garlic, parsley, italian seasoning to the hamburger or ground turkey and let it simmer for about 5-10 minutes. Tastes great and really easy to throw together.
  • cclala
    cclala Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    It's all about having things on hand and planning it out. Is there an hour on the weekend when you could go to the store and stock up for the week? That way you won't find yourself in a bind mid-week, reaching for the chips....

I buy:

all manner of fruit and veg
    whole wheat bread and tortillas
    light cheese, laughing cow spreadables
    tea (crucial for after dinner snack attack syndrome)
    lean meats, for sandwiches as well as raw for dinner (an easy way to prepare chicken or fish is to dab olive oil on it, make a little tin foil "tent", place it inside and throw it in the oven for 25 minutes.) You don't have to watch it or anything
    Rice, beans, quinoa
    Greek Yogurt
    Crisp bread crackers with peanut butter or almond butter

As for the veggie thing--it's hard to eat healthfully and maintain your goal weight without them. Perhaps you could start by getting some hummus or ranch dip and dipping them? Or put low fat cheddar on your broccoli?

I would advise moving away from packaged and frozen foods....not only are they laden with chemicals but they don't hold you over as long or benefit your body in nearly the same way.