My class has become to easy!

cclala
cclala Posts: 190 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Make that "too" easy.

Anyway, this is a huge victory, but also a bit of a conundrum.

My favorite Zumba class has suddenly stopped challenging me quite like it used to. I'm barely winded and that's even with doing jumping jacks between songs. It's definitely a vigorous class--I've been going for about 6 months and the routine has changed in that time, challenging different muscle groups. I just don't find the cardio aspect all that hard.

I also take kickboxing and cardio sculpt, both of which are far more challenging, at least for me. (Damn you, weight lifting!)

But dance is still my all-time favorite work out. I like to do it the majority of the time. Should I be concerned that I'm not getting the same benefits now that it's become a bit of a cake walk? I don't want to have to stop or swap it out for other things. :-/

Replies

• kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    That's cool! As long as you're challenging yourself several times per week, I don't see a problem with you continuing to do the Zumba. I love it too and do it because it's fun. I add other classes or workouts to challenge myself.
  • michis05
    michis05 Posts: 99 Member
    Keep doing dance, if its fun for you. Since you are doing other things that challenge you, you are still getting results! Keep changing it up once in a while..do some running or elliptical. but always do what you find to be fun :)
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Wow this is awesome! I really need to try Zumba - hopefully I get to a class this week. I say if you enjoy it keep doing it. Can you add a short but challenging weight training to your time before class? Or go run some sprints to get your heart rate soaring? Then you will benefit from an increased heart rate to start the class.

But I know my body needs rest days - or days I don't work quite so hard, maybe go to class on those days. Also remember the importance of destressing/socializing for your overall health - it could be this class gives you those benefits!

You're doing awesome!!!
  • VezNo1
    VezNo1 Posts: 83
    Have you tried Body Jam? There’s a bit more chorography to it, with some jumps etc. It quite hip hoppy, but stil some latino moves in there. All the basic moves are on the site and here’s a link for the latest release, forward through the English guy doing a dodgy accent and then there's a demo. http://www.lesmills.com/global/bodyjam/latest-release.aspx
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Just because you don't feel challenged doesn't mean your body isn't getting a workout from it. A cardio workout still burns calories. It's not like weight lifting where you have to increase the challenge in order to keep making progress. As long as you are still burning calories and your body hasn't adapted to the exercise, keep doing it.

I suggest getting a good heart rate and calorie monitor, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Heart-Monitor-Watch-Silver/dp/B001U0OFCS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1297190946&sr=8-4 to help you determine whether you're burning calories.
  • DaveGlasnost
    DaveGlasnost Posts: 146 Member
    Treat it like a "restful" activity, maximize your fun factor in there. I envy you for having reached that level with something.

If you feel you need to replace it with more challenging workouts, that's purely up to you, but there's no harm in keeping on with it and using the saved exertion to excel in your other classes.
This discussion has been closed.