chickpeas

Options
Ok. so i have noticed that a lot of healthy foods have chickpeas in the recipes. what are chickpeas and what do they taste like?

Replies

• vfinkenstadt
    Options
    chickpeas are also called garbanzo beans. i find them canned in the "mexican" aisle at the market.
  • crystaltrejo
    crystaltrejo Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    have you ever had hummus? they are the base. They are starchy, actually very good for you. Try them you might like them. I like them on a salad.
  • nettip
    nettip Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    my kids described the taste as baked beans with out the sauce if that helps?
  • MmhmmStephanie
    Options
    Have you ever had Hummus? That's what they are made of. Garbanzo beans. They are quite delicious. I put them on my salads.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    They are a type of bean, high in protein, carbs, and fiber and very low in calories and fat. The canned verity have a meaty taste and texture. They are great on their own or you can toss them in soup or on salads.
  • reesepieces
    reesepieces Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    anyone have any really good recipes to try it with?
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    They taste kind of like nothing. They easily take on the flavors of whatever you're cooking them in.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    You can toss them in a salad or eat them by themselves. They are also good in soups. You can make hummus--which is great on pita bread.
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Oh I love these. I add them to texas chili sometimes, and like them on salads. Excellent protein boost.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I love to saute some up with garlic them and cook with lil bit of pasta :) I prefer the bagged variety that you soak. But plain is yummy too!
  • Carolyn204
    Carolyn204 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Chickpeas are basically garbonzo beans. They are firmer than a lot of other beans, but have a different flavor, hard to describe. I really like them, and have had them all sorts of ways. My advice is to go buy a can, try them in a recipe that sounds good, and then just see if you like them.
  • Manda1987
    Options
    I love chickpeas!

Chickpeas and spinach: super fast!

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=12393.0

Curried chickpeas and black beans:

http://www.food.com/recipe/curried-chickpeas-and-black-beans-low-fat-73679
  • sundaysurf
    sundaysurf Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Bump - I want to make the Curried Chickpeas and black beans. I love chickpeas. I eat them everyday in some form or another. They are very filling and super yummy!
  • NOLAdy
    NOLAdy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I baked them once, into a corn nut type of snack, after seeing it done on an episode of Martha Stewart. I need some work on getting it done properly but they came out good. My kids like them too, and snack on them out of the can, so we ate all of the baked ones. We make hummus pretty often as well.
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Love them. In addition to salads, I also through them in when I make pasta and sauce - it' adds a bit of protein to the dish!
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Love them, and I can eat them straight from the can. Try them roasted with garlic & broccoli. Totally yummy.