40/40/20 Protein, Carbs, Fats: Is this a good ratio?

Options
2»

Replies

• kaityray
    kaityray Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    That is the IDEAL ratio.
  • DaveGlasnost
    DaveGlasnost Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you have to consider the source. I think that Beachbody recommending you to get that much protein while at the same time encouraging you to purchase their protein bars and shakes is a little too convenient for them. It is almost impossible to get that much protein in actual food.

Yea, agree actually. So far I haven't bought any of their products and instead get some stuff from GNC. And it continues to be the case that I top out at about 250g protein in a day, because in general I don't like stuffing down a lot of bars and shakes. Usually I come up quite short of 250, let alone 350g. At most, on any one day, I have done 2 bars and 2 shakes, most days 1 bar and 1 to 1.5 shakes. Yesterday was a 1-shake, 0-bar day, with the shake immediately after my workout. (it also was a "cheat" day that was kind of forced on me, since I had to take some relatives out to dinner)

To their credit, they do have phases you go through where they want you to change that ratio, lowering protein dramatically in the last phase. Doesn't change that they really like to push their recovery drink...
  • doutri2
    doutri2 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Generally, 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat is a good ratio.

A few years ago, I picked up the book called The Formula, A personalized 40-30-30 Weight Loss Program by Gene and Joyce Daoust.

If you want to maintain this ratio, I would recommend picking up this book. It talks about the benefits to this ratio as related to energy and exercise endurance. As well as it has a recipes and daily guides of what to eat to maintain it.

I did well on it b/c it had so many foods that I liked and I could also feed my family.