what is better swimming or running for fat burning

Options
2»

Replies

• dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Just thought I'd throw in a tidbit - many have mentioned that swimming is easier on the joints. This can certainly be true. If you are interested in increasing bone density and preventing osteoporosis/fragile bones, running is far superior. Weight-bearing activities are necessary to promote bone density/formation. I saw a study recently where people who only swam for exercise had very low bone density. Just thought I'd throw that out there. :)

interesting tidbit of information. and to think about it, it really does actually makes sense. thanks!

OP, personally I prefer to swim (like actually swimming not just floating around) over running. I get such a good workout in the water. but it's different for everyone. heck, do both! alternate
  • mommysockmonkey
    mommysockmonkey Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I love swimming! I was on the swim team in high school and while I didn't swim competitively in college I still swam a half mile several times per week. That being said, swimming makes me very very hungry where running does not. I've been told that its because swimming does not raise your body temperature like other cardio does. So for me, running is better for weight loss. Just my 2 cents.
  • Scott15Fit
    Options
    Just thought I'd throw in a tidbit - many have mentioned that swimming is easier on the joints. This can certainly be true. If you are interested in increasing bone density and preventing osteoporosis/fragile bones, running is far superior. Weight-bearing activities are necessary to promote bone density/formation. I saw a study recently where people who only swam for exercise had very low bone density. Just thought I'd throw that out there. :)

There are also other impact sports that you can do other than running if your worried about bone density and don't enjoy running such as skipping, step aerobics, martial arts, netball, basketball, football, squash, tennis.

Edit: Obviously be careful with any high impact sports to not do too much too fast and injure yourself.