Measurement issue

Options
Well, I'm taking many people's advice and trying to record some measurements OTHER than weight and I'm coming up with a slight problem: I've taken them all twice, and I lost weight, yet one went up instead of down. :huh:

So, how do you make sure you are measuring exactly the same place, the same way (as in, not changing how you are standing or other things that might change the measurement) each time?

Replies

• Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same problem, particularly around the tummy area. I tried to use some of my freckles as 'markers' so to speak, so I would know where to measure. Surely there has to be a better way!
  • ScottyLikesCake
    ScottyLikesCake Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It is possible water retention may effect bloating around your stomach area which can effect your waist measurement. Mine can go up 2 inches just before my period which is disheartening when trying to lose weight, but it goes back down again.

Measure regularly (but not too frequently) over a period of time and see if there is a general downward trend.
  • Awineburg
    Options
    I had the exact same problem, particularly around the tummy area. I tried to use some of my freckles as 'markers' so to speak, so I would know where to measure. Surely there has to be a better way!

hehehe funny
  • pkd1
    pkd1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I Have my mom measure me, its hard to get a accurate measurement when your trying to do it yourself
  • sunshinesukie
    sunshinesukie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    there are three of us at work all on MFP and we measure one another, or at least supervise one another and say 'up a bit' 'down a bit and the like, to try to keep the continuity. I find top of the leg is the most difficult as its quite a long area of similar size and shape and yet, get the tape an inch out of whack and it can make a lot of difference.

It is defo worth doing your measurements though as sometimes, when your weight loss starts to plateau - your inch loss can still be good and that 'win' motivates you to carry on.