Carbs and protein

Options
Hey gang!

I always seem to go over on my carbs and protein totals for the day, but still eat healthy and stay in my calorie range. Does anyone else have this problem and is it bad that I go over all the time? What should I do if it is bad? I heard that low carb diets are bad for you too.

Does anyone think this is why I keep losing a couple pounds and then gain them right back? To date, I am at square one with my starting weight and it has been months since I started here!!:sad:

HELP!!:frown:

Replies

• mamaof2girls
    mamaof2girls Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Hey gang!

I always seem to go over on my carbs and protein totals for the day, but still eat healthy and stay in my calorie range. Does anyone else have this problem and is it bad that I go over all the time? What should I do if it is bad? I heard that low carb diets are bad for you too.

Does anyone think this is why I keep losing a couple pounds and then gain them right back? To date, I am at square one with my starting weight and it has been months since I started here!!:sad:

• banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    sometimes. this site does tend to set carbs high and protein low. If Carbs are your issue, try to eat more white meats and nuts. If protein is the issue, then more fruits and veggies, less meat and nuts. Cheese is good for that too. The easiest way to avoid this type of issue is to sit down once for a couple of hours and just map out the types of food that you like, fit them into groups and plan out a typical day's food by group. That way you aren't wedged into a specific diet every day, but you still know you will be in a general range of calories and food types.
  • ambertimmons21
    ambertimmons21 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I go over in carbs everyday and I don't eat any bread or pasta or potatoes at all so I think that the carb goal is kinda low and I purposely go over in protein everyday b/c I strength train for a hour everyday so I need more protein.
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Hey gang!

I go over my protein every day.. but not my carbs.. for that i just eat higher fiber less calorie bread.. for instance i eat saraless 45 cal delghtful wheat bread, mini wheat bagels 100 cal.. I try to stay with in 100-120 cals for my breads for each meal and snacks... sometimes i will have two ff hot dogs with ltie kroger buns...only 60 cals each for hot dog and ham buns.... but i eat alot of protein... everyones differnt.. soif your eating healthy and not gaining I wouldnt worry too much.... keep on going :bigsmile: .. NOTE.. if you eat fat free salad dressings or fat free cheese or mayos they are high in carbs....
  • insearchofskinny
    Options
    I've done great on my own low carb life style. I fall off the wagon regularly and need to climb back on. But I'm hanging in there and in 3 years I've gone from 212 to 130.. 18 to go. I'm healther then I've been in many years too... I'm a diabetic and my sugars have been normal for over 2 years. When I over indulge I just pick up where I left off. During vacations and eating out.. I throw caution to the wind. That said - I gain an average of a pound a day on every vacation LOL - but it gives me relief from thinking about it... and when I get back home I'm strict until I take those pounds off. good luck!!
  • mamaof2girls
    mamaof2girls Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I've done great on my own low carb life style. I fall off the wagon regularly and need to climb back on. But I'm hanging in there and in 3 years I've gone from 212 to 130.. 18 to go. I'm healther then I've been in many years too... I'm a diabetic and my sugars have been normal for over 2 years. When I over indulge I just pick up where I left off. During vacations and eating out.. I throw caution to the wind. That said - I gain an average of a pound a day on every vacation LOL - but it gives me relief from thinking about it... and when I get back home I'm strict until I take those pounds off. good luck!!

WOW!! You are incredible! Great job on the weight loss! What does an average days worth of meals look like for you? Does anyone worry about the high fructose corn syrup in their food? I always avaoided the low calorie breads and went with whole wheat breads because of the HFCS.
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options

WOW!! You are incredible! Great job on the weight loss! What does an average days worth of meals look like for you? Does anyone worry about the high fructose corn syrup in their food? I always avaoided the low calorie breads and went with whole wheat breads because of the HFCS.
    YEAH thats a big one for the low carbs.. white bread is awful.. so is other fat free things.. they replace the fat with high frutiose corn suryp.. I guess we can never win :bigsmile:
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    You have the ability to change and customize your breakdown of calories on this site... under goals you choose custom meal plan. I think originally this site gives you 55% carbs... that's high to me.. I did custom and I split it 40 carbs/40 protein/20 fat.
  • Slender1
    Slender1 Posts: 185
    Options
    My PT said for somebody working out regularly (I work out 5x week), I should eat as much protein as my body weight. So if you're 150 pounds, that's 150g of protein. It seems like a lot at first, but when you get used to eating more grilled chicken, fish, shrimp, and yummy chocolate banana protein shakes, it's not so hard! As for carbs, I never go over. If you try and stick with more salads, less sandwiches (or go open-faced), eat a half a sweet potato instead of a whole sweet potato, things like that, you are able to cut down on them without cutting them out. Carbs are ESSENTIAL, just most people eat way too many of them and don't realize it.