Cardio to weights ratio?

Options
Ive recently started back at the gym doing mainly cardio ( classes and treadmill) and one class of body pump using weights. I've read a few posts on here which talk about the importance of incorporating weights into the training regime. I'm after a bit of advice and wanting to find out what cardio v weights ratio people are using in their workouts?

Replies

• hardybelle83
    Options
    Personally, I like to lift weights 3x per week (sometimes followed by a litle cardio depending on how long my session is). The other 3 days I do mostly cardio (maybe some light weights for indurance intervals).

Maybe start out doing weights twice per week until you get comfortable and then you can increase it to three times. You'll be able to get through your cardio workouts so much easier with all that lean muscle !!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I do four days of weights and cardio (approx. 40-50 mins weights, 30-60 mins cardio depending on how much time I have) and one day of only cardio (60 mins).
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    About 2:3 cardio:weights. It might almost be 1:1 right now since I am closing in on Spring Break.

Normally, it is about 1:3 cardio:weights.
  • cldb
    cldb Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. I'm thinking of stepping up the weights in my body pump class ( I'm a weakling and have been using the lowest). I'll now start doing some weights on the days when I do the treadmill too.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I do 3 days cardio, 3 days strength training.
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    My experience is that I haven't lost much weight when doing mainly weights/strength training even when its for 2+ hours/day, but have lost a lot of weight doing mostly cardio (especially the elliptical) with some strength training 5-6x a week (I'd say about an hour of cardio & 20 minutes of strength training & 10 minute cooldown on the treadmill walking) . I have heard that the key is to do intensity interval training with cardio (have your heart rate up for a short period & down for a short period & continue alternating) & some weight training (because this builds muscle) and end with a cool down with a slow walk on the treadmill for a little while (because that is what actually burns fat off your body- a 60-65% heart rate). If you do mostly strength training you will be building muscle but you won't be able to see the muscle really without burning the fat that covers it & although they say your BMR goes up with more muscle on your body, I have found that cardio is critical to burn fat and to see the muscle you are building.
  • JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    cldb,

I LOVE your avatar. That was my #1 favorite show when I was little. "Dance your cares away *clap clap*, worries for another day *clap clap*, let the music play, down at Fraggle Rock!"
  • cbs1974
    cbs1974 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Remember muscle weighs heavier than fat!!!

i usually do what suits me from day to day

today i played football / 30 weights/10 min run

otherdays i might just go for a long run or just do weights

all depends whats good for me helps me keep motivated !!!
  • cbs1974
    cbs1974 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Remember muscle weighs heavier than fat!!!

i usually do what suits me from day to day

today i played football / 30 weights/10 min run

otherdays i might just go for a long run or just do weights

all depends whats good for me helps me keep motivated !!!
  • cldb
    Options
    I love the fraggles too! To be honest I gigot it was my avitar and had to check what you was talking about! Ha

I've just started a program inteval training with an app I found on the laptop. I think I'm gonna stick to the classes I do ( body pump, zumba and aerobics) but on my treadmill days definatly get stuck into the weights too!
  • cldb
    Options
    Ooops that meant to say forgot not gigot lol