Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How much is too much?

Just wondering if anyone has thoughts on TOO much exercise daily and the food intake to go with it. I like to exercise and sometimes do 1-3 hours. Lots of it is walking fast on the hills around here and I'm trying to add some running. In recent past, I have been following Weight Watchers TO THE LETTER and was running 5-7 miles before work each day and got stuck at the same weight (20 lb. over where I wanted to be) FOR FOUR MONTHS!!!

No matter how much I do, I stay in about the same weight range. I want to lose 30-35lb.

Any suggestions? Thoughts?

Replies

• foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Are you eating enough to compensate for all this exercise?
  • NanaML
    NanaML Posts: 14
    Are you eating enough to compensate for all this exercise?

i don't know and that's the hard part. Isn't the theory supposed to be that less intake (I NEVER go below 1200 calories) is supposed to = weight loss!

I want to be successful and firm.....but don't know where that level point is!
  • Ditto to previous poster - are you eating back your exercise calories? Not sure that WW lets you have back your cals.
  • http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing?hl=700+calories&page=11#posts-1516041
    Read this post about undereating.
    If you aren't hitting around 1200 NET calories a day (total calories in - exercise calories = net calories) You aren't going to lose.
  • I followed W.W. for 4 months with my Mother. She lost over 30 pounds while on it for 6 months. I, on the other hand, gained 10 lbs! Weight Watchers DID NOT work for me! I have been tracking my food with myfitnesspal and this is so much easier, and I am already seeing a difference.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Read previous posts about starvation mode. If your body doesn't get enough fuel, it will hold on to whatever you give it. So no, eating less does not always equal weight loss.
  • NanaML
    Ditto to previous poster - are you eating back your exercise calories? Not sure that WW lets you have back your cals.
    Yep, they do IF you want to.
    SHOULD I eat ALL my calories back?? Or do I lose weight and still stay healthy if I don't?
  • amboardman
    amboardman Posts: 144 Member
    Go to the forums and look under general weight loss help. Read the one called "Newbies please read me." It will answer your questions.
  • WW (at least from the old points system) told you to eat back up to 10, I think, exercise points. The general consensus was that 100 cal burned=1 point.
  • NanaML
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing?hl=700+calories&page=11#posts-1516041
    Read this post about undereating.
    If you aren't hitting around 1200 NET calories a day (total calories in - exercise calories = net calories) You aren't going to lose.

Thanks. That is a very good article and I will read more of the posts later. I appreciate the info.
  • NanaML
    I followed W.W. for 4 months with my Mother. She lost over 30 pounds while on it for 6 months. I, on the other hand, gained 10 lbs! Weight Watchers DID NOT work for me! I have been tracking my food with myfitnesspal and this is so much easier, and I am already seeing a difference.

I had been successful MANY YEARS ago and I like WW because it's balanced but I am trying this instead now. Hope to see a difference like you! Thanks!!!
  • NanaML
    Go to the forums and look under general weight loss help. Read the one called "Newbies please read me." It will answer your questions.

Thanks.....I will do that. :)
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Along with eating back some or all of your exercise calories (seem to be on a person to person base)( but I think thats the10%we can all be off on all our numbers) you should think about lifting. Our bodies ajust over time and you need to change things up plus muslce burns more calories at rest and takes of less room so you will look smaller even if your weight doesnt change. GOOD lUCK
  • i was on ww to and over 2 1/2 years lost 10stone, it definately worked for me. Then i found myfitnesspal, which seems to work aswell, i combine the best of each.

Best thing is to eat a good breakfast every day, so that it gets your metabolism started. I usually do about a 8 mile vigourous cycle every morning to work, and usually drink a sports drink to keep me hydrated until breakfast.

eat a good healthy lunch and also i do eat quite a big dinner which my pasta, potatoes, meat and poultry is all weighed out. Bulk out on the vegetables that you love, and this will help with losing the pounds!!

good luck and dont hesitate to post a message if you have any questions!!
  • Let you know if i find out! Im currently getting about 4-5 hours of exercise a day. And my daily calorie goal is over 3600 calories and this is with my profile set to lose 2 lbs a week...

just so you guys dont think im crazy I do this to be competitive in elite cycling.

3 hrs on the bike
    1hr in the gym
    30min jogging

yesterday i burned 2200+ calories and today looks to be the same.

My racing season starts in a month and ive got 7lbs to lose to be at race weight or about 8% BF
  • NanaML
    Thank you ALL so much for the advice, help, etc. I've only started on this MB today and I can already see I'm in trouble as you are all so nice!!!! That has to help with motivation and questions and everything as well!!! Thanks again!!!!