why is oatmeal good for you?

Options
Why is oatmeal good for you? Lots of people are obsessed with it on here. How does it assist in weight loss?

Replies

• nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup of oatmeal has 5g protein and 4g fiber with 150 calories. It is a whole grain and it keeps you fuller for longer.

Then you can add things like nuts and dried fruit, flax seed, wheat germ, etc. to bulk up the nutritional value and protein/fiber count further.

It's good stuff.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    it has heart healthy fiber, and keeps you full...
    if you make it with twice the water and cook it twice as long (and let it sit to thicken) you get twice as much for the same cals btw (hungerygirl)
  • clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    It definately holds longer than most breakfast foods! I eat it every single morning and love it!
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Supposedly it helps lower bad cholesterol as well, but I don't know how accurate the data is on that :)
  • sicembears
    sicembears Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It's going to hopefully lower my cholesterol.
  • chickadee2010
    chickadee2010 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I really wished I like oatmeal. I tried it plain a few weeks ago and I wasn't loving it too much. I couldn't even eat half a serving.
  • mcphtm
    mcphtm Posts: 26
    Options
    If you eat oatmeal about 1-to-2 hours before doing your weight loss workout... Oatmeal will give you a longer lasting blast of energy that helps you workout longer & more intensely which helps you lose weight much faster
  • mcphtm
    Options
    I really wished I like oatmeal. I tried it plain a few weeks ago and I wasn't loving it too much. I couldn't even eat half a serving.

Try adding stuff to it like fresh fruit.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Not to mention it has minimal to no sodium. If you want to add some flavor to it, you could always add cinnamon and Splenda along with some fruit. It's very versatile for whatever your palate is craving. You could also add some peanut butter to kick up the protein and taste.
  • chickadee2010
    chickadee2010 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options

Could you like mash up berries, or are they better whole?
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I put cinnamon and brown sugar in mine and it tastes like a cinnamon roll.
  • mcphtm
    Options

Could you like mash up berries, or are they better whole?

Mashed berries would be fine :)
  • jmathews
    jmathews Posts: 196
    Options
    it has heart healthy fiber, and keeps you full...
    if you make it with twice the water and cook it twice as long (and let it sit to thicken) you get twice as much for the same cals btw (hungerygirl)

That's what I eat every morning...a growing bowl of oatmeal!
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I like mine savory -- I usually make a batch of steel cut oats (better texture than rolled IMO) that I divide up over the week. Before I reheat it in the microwave, I add an egg, baby spinach, and a sausage link. Then I nuke it (I like the egg on the runny side) and mash everything up together with a bit of soy sauce & hot sauce.

Or you could try a muesli type thing where you combine some raw oats (rolled would probably work better in this case) with some yogurt and fruit. Let sit in fridge overnight and eat in the morning. Something like this recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/healthy-appetite-with-ellie-krieger-/muesli-parfaits-recipe/index.html