Extra skin

MartiWillett
MartiWillett Posts: 103 Member
edited September 23 in Health and Weight Loss
So does everyone that looses a significant amount of weight have to deal with extra loose skin? I am aming to lose about 60 or 70 more pounds, but am young (23). what has been your experience?

Replies

• Jaedynmoon
    Jaedynmoon Posts: 280 Member
    I lost 111 lbs after I graduated high school in 2003. I went from 250 to 139. I had loose skin on my stomach and arms from losing that much weight but it wasn't bad at all. As long as exercise is in the mix it'll make that loose skin tighten up. If you drastically loose the weight due to strict diet and no exercise it will result in more loose skin that's harder to work off. But if you are doing exercise and healthy diet you should be fine and be able to tighten it up!
  • bump i have about 50 to lose and i was wondering the same thing
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    at age 19-21 i went through the weight loss with diet and exercise, in total i lost 52lb...but my skin was as tight and toned as if i'd never had any extra weight...yet this time round(am 26now) i'm down 39lb and it's nowhere near as toned

so it really depends...with alot of water and toning it's possible to minimise the loose skin! with being still quite young you have a high chance of tightening the skin
  • As long as you are young and the weight isn't lost rapidly, your body will adjust appropriately. You will probably have a few stretch marks, but those are very common amongst girls of all weights (due to puberty)

The only permanent damage would most likely be to your cooper's ligaments, the damage depending on how much bust weight is lost.
  • I've lost 80- I have a lot of loose skin on my lower stomach from 2 pregnancies and losing weight. I'm trying to do a lot of ab work, but it doesn't seem to make a huge difference. Nobody can really tell though- I just won't be wearing a bikini anytime soon. I have hope!
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Boob job and tummy tuck....still have lose skin on the arms, but who's lookin when ya got nice tatas? LOL
  • RGPargy
    RGPargy Posts: 285 Member
    When i lost 7 1/2 stone in my 20s through a very very strict diet and tons of exercise, i had to end up having a tummy tuck to get rid of my excess skin. I had loose skin on my upper arms as well as on my inner thighs and saggy boobs too. lol. What a catch! No amount of exercise will get rid of loose skin if your skin has lost its elasticity! So years later i'm now 43 and all the weight (plus more) has been put back on and i am back to square one! I probably will have loose skin everywhere again, but it's got to be healthier than having excess weight to carry around!
  • Most people mistakenly think that loose skin's number one factor is quick weight loss. While that can contribute, how fast you GAINED the weight plays a much bigger role. I'd gained over 100 pounds in under a year. I lost 150 pounds over 5 years and had so much extra skin I had to have it sugically removed. We're talking stomach skin that I could hold abut a foot away from my body. The fast weight gain stretched out my skin so there was almost no elasticity left. Everyone is different. You just have to wait and see.
  • amehrkens
    amehrkens Posts: 162 Member
    I lost 114lbs over 3 years...so very slowly and I have loose skin everywhere! I lost the weight by diet and exercise....going to the gym every day doing both cardio and strenght.
  • RGPargy
    RGPargy Posts: 285 Member
    Thanx for the insight Meganne - that sounds more like how it could happen!!
This discussion has been closed.