Belly fat!!

sdoherty1000
sdoherty1000 Posts: 146 Member
edited September 23 in Health and Weight Loss
can you lose belly fat by walking and jogging or do you need to join a gym and do strength training?

Replies

• polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Belly fat is lost in the kitchen and cardio. Look up HIIt training on google and check it out. It worked for me.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    You can't spot reduce fat. You lose it all over. Usually the bit you want to lose it from last in my eperience, lol.

But yes, you do this through cardio - melt it off! Strength training and abs work is great to tone the underlying muscle, but in order to reduce the fat you need to burn it off by getting your heart rate up. Go for it!
  • Cardiovascular exercises are actually the best way to lose belly fat, due to getting your heart rate up, causing you to burn calories, then burn fat.
  • I wish I could help . . . I know it is really hard to spot reduce, but you should try to incorporate strength training in with your cardio, regardless. Maybe someone can give a better answer?
  • walking and jogging can burn calories, and tone up your legs mainly. but no, you don't need to join a gym. but strength training is the a helpful way to lose belly fat as well as doing the cardio
    ab-cruches and sit-ups, also try laying flat on your back, with your arms by your sides and lifting both of your legs to a 45degree angle, this does your bottom abs, which is where your belly fat is.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    You can absolutely lose belly fat by walking and jogging. Your body decides how it distributes the fat that you have, so contrary to the popular(ish?) belief, crunches won't elminate belly fat, lunges won't get rid of cellulite etc. But if you stick with your calories, even without exercise your belly fat will lessen.

That being said there is something to be said for a balanced workout routine- I started with cardio and have been working in strength training to some really great benefits. I however hate beyond hate gyms, so I don't really think you ever need one for general fitness- just cardio and some body weight strength workouts.
  • sdoherty1000
    sdoherty1000 Posts: 146 Member
    Thanks guys for the quick responses and information to. I do a 4 mile walk/jog every other day and burn an average 600 caps per session but I don't think I look any different. I don't need nice legs or a nice body... Just 1 I'm happy with. I have moved over to weekly weigh ins but if I'm honest I'm loosing the motivation a little now. Counting the cals, the walking and worse of all not seeing the results I had anticipated as of yet.

But with that said, I WILL NOT SURRENDER! I will carry on regardless

Thanks
  • meggonkgonk
    It will come down. But if you feel you want a kick in your routine- certainly add in some body weight

Sometimes it just takes a while for you to notice the difference- I be if you posted pics we'd all see the difference. But if you've only started in January, I would give it time- I started in Sept and didn't notice anything until proly November. Don't rush- just keep doing what you're doing (and make sure you eat enough as well as not too much!) and you will see it. Slow and steady!
  • meggonkgonk
    walking and jogging can burn calories, and tone up your legs mainly. but no, you don't need to join a gym. but strength training is the a helpful way to lose belly fat as well as doing the cardio
    ab-cruches and sit-ups, also try laying flat on your back, with your arms by your sides and lifting both of your legs to a 45degree angle, this does your bottom abs, which is where your belly fat is.

These do not help lose belly fat- they tone the muscles in those areas but they do not decrease a particular area of fat. You can't spot lose or reduce- just try to keep a nice balanced exercise and diet plan. I
This discussion has been closed.