Eating out

Options
Does anyone have any recommendations for restaurants that might have some healthier alternatives? I know Applebees has an "Under 550 calories" menu. I have been on my diet plan for about a month now and haven't eaten out because i didn't want to slip up but my parents are coming to visit this weekend and we always eat out.

Replies

• carlynishere
    carlynishere Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Check out some of the restuarant websites - they are great for checking your options before you go! HTH!
  • dspearsb
    dspearsb Posts: 186
    Options
    Check the restrauant's website for for nurtrition info. That way you know what to order and how many calories before you even get there.
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    try dwlz.com! I love it!!
  • JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Bob Evans has a fit from the farm section now and ruby tuesday's has new great new salads.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You can always take a day or a meal off and just not worry about it. I do that most weekends and it hasn't hindered my weight loss. I've been a little more strict this month because I'm trying to lose 10 pounds a month for the next three months. But, before that I would not worry at all and was still losing at least 1 pound a week.
  • SJSchwartz
    Options
    Yes, I agree with the previous posters about checking out the nutritional menu online. And remember, you can always ask for a to-go box right at the beginning and put half your meal away out of sight to eat another time.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Just choose the healthy option anywhere you go. Baked vs fries. Steamed veggies vs potato or fries. Avoid breads and pastas and too much cheese!
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    this is one of my favorite sites to consult before we choose a restaurant:

http://eatthis.menshealth.com/restaurant_guided_search/all/all/all/all
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I have also found Applebees to be one of the better ones offering Lo-Cal options. Whatever you do, avoid Olive Garden like the plague! Even the soup and salad will kill your diet easily!

good luck!
  • bp1140
    bp1140 Posts: 24
    Options
    I have been tracking my food for almost a month and I am HORRIFIED by how much I eat out. My problem is that I look at every meal at a restaurant like a "special occasion" and eat like there's no tomorrow. This has definitely helped my pinpoint that huge problem with my eating. Now--- to fix it!

Good luck!
  • might4
    might4 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Chili's has some good Guitless Grill Options. I think you have to ask for it though...it isn't usually on the menu but the Guitless Grilled Salmon is really good!
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Logans Roadhouse has an under 500 calorie menu, as does McAlisters Deli.

Moe's Southwest Grill and Qudoba offer Mexican fair and their websites allow you to build your meal online to exactly how much adding this or subtracting that affects the nutritional values.

Subway probably goes without saying...
  • fantm
    fantm Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    This is a tough one. We don't eat at many chain restaurants, which is where you will likely find nutrition info. The smaller, local chains or mom-and-pop places don't have to post that info, which makes it difficult. Anyone have tips for that, besides making wise choices?
  • omgitsgarry
    Options
    I tend to stay away from seafood joints and Italian eatery's. Any place that offer's a low calorie or weight watchers menu is best (like applebee's as you mentioned), but be careful, sometimes they tend to give you an extra serving size or two, so split your meal in half and take some of it home to be on the safe side.
  • ladybug91254
    ladybug91254 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Olive Garden also has some light menu items...I think they vary by location but the ones I had were very good.
  • rflowers7
    Options
    I've pretty much stuck with Applebee's, Chili's, and Ruby Tuesday as far as sit-down type restaurants. They all have low cal choices that are very good. Any restaurant food will be high in sodium however, so keep an eye out there. Honestly, since I've started really paying attention to what I eat, if I can't find nutrition info online for a restaurant, I don't eat there. There's really no reason not to publish that info unless you really don't want your customers to know what they're eating.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree with the previous posters about checking out the nutritional menu online. And remember, you can always ask for a to-go box right at the beginning and put half your meal away out of sight to eat another time.

I agree.... half an entree in a to go box early on, and you're set, both for this meal and the following day's dinner, too!
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Do your homework BEFORE going out. So many places serve absolute junk, you have to be super careful.
    You can eat out, just have to educate yourself first. A little homework will stop a lot of guilt and stress.
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone, download a resteraunt app. I use mine whenever we go out (which hasn't been much lately because of how horrible I found the food is). I discovered the food I ate at applebees was over 2000 calories. Just for one meal! Just make a healthy choice, going out every once in a while is ok.
  • LMPRF97
    Options
    bump