please help!

Options
i am needing some ideas for a carry in we are having tomorrow at work.
i am looking for low calorie and cheap!
i am pretty good with a crock pot but other than that am a horrible cook....

:)
thanks in advance!! <3

Replies

• bam0904
    bam0904 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Try the recipe for Weight Watcehrs Chili!

Ingredients

1 spray(s) cooking spray
    1 tsp canola oil
    1 large onion(s), chopped
    2 clove(s) (medium) garlic clove(s), minced
    1 pound(s) Turkey, ground, 93% lean/7% fat, raw
    2 medium carrot(s), thinly sliced into rounds
    2 Tbsp chili powder
    1 Tbsp paprika
    1 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
    1 tsp Durkee Ground Cumin Seed, or other brand
    2 medium tomato(es), chopped
    1 cup(s) canned tomato sauce
    1 cup(s) canned chicken broth
    1 1/2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
    1 1/2 cup(s) cooked kidney beans, rinsed and drained
    1 medium green pepper(s), chopped
    1/2 tsp table salt, or to taste
    1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
    1/4 cup(s) scallion(s), chopped

Instructions
    Coat a large pot with cooking spray; place over medium heat. Add oil and onion; sauté onion until soft, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic and carrots; cook until garlic is softened, about 1 minute. Add turkey; brown meat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks, about 5 minutes. Stir to break up lumps.

Add chili powder, paprika, red pepper flakes, cumin, tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, vinegar, beans and green pepper; bring mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until meat and vegetables are tender, about 30 to 45 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper; garnish with scallions. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
  • efcdcdb
    efcdcdb Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for something a little less ambitious, how about some veggies and dip? Not very exciting, I know, but I find that it usually gets eaten and others in the group will appreciate it.

There is always the Diet Soda Cake, if you are looking for a dessert (not sure how your work events are handled, and who brings what).

Another stand-by for me is a lighter pasta salad: cook some spiral pasta, add red onion, black olives, red, yellow, orange and/or green peppers, some dried parsley, a little parmesan cheese, maybe some broccoli, and light italian salad dressing (I use about 3/4 c. dressing for a pound package of pasta). Sometimes I put some salami strips in but of course that adds to the calories (and cost).
  • cehrenhaus
    Options
    Yummy salads! These are very easy to prepare, unusual and you are sure to impress your friends with them
    http://faerywitch.wordpress.com/category/recipes/salads/
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Try this on for size! I haven't personally done this one yet or you'd see plenty of little changes, but I've heard from friends that it is FABULOSO!

And it is really super low in calories. So you could take that and some pitas or low cal wraps and that would be perfect!

I suggest you might want to double the recipe so you can get more servings.

Or just buy smaller wraps!

Barbecue Pulled Chicken

8 servings

Active Time: 25 minutes

Total Time: 5 1/2 hours

Ingredients

* 1 8-ounce can reduced-sodium tomato sauce
    * 1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles, drained
    * 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
    * 2 tablespoons honey
    * 1 tablespoon sweet or smoked paprika
    * 1 tablespoon tomato paste
    * 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    * 2 teaspoons dry mustard
    * 1 teaspoon ground chipotle chile
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
    * 1 small onion, finely chopped
    * 1 clove garlic, minced

Preparation

1. Stir tomato sauce, chiles, vinegar, honey, paprika, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, ground chipotle and salt in a 6-quart slow cooker until smooth. Add chicken, onion and garlic; stir to combine.
    2. Put the lid on and cook on low until the chicken can be pulled apart, about 5 hours.
    3. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and shred with a fork. Return the chicken to the sauce, stir well and serve.

Tips & Notes

* Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.

Nutrition

Per serving: 184 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 68 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 20 g protein; 1 g fiber; 257 mg sodium; 303 mg potassium.

Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (19% daily value), Vitamin A & Vitamin C (15% dv).

1/2 Carbohydrate Serving

Exchanges: 1/2 other carb., 2.5 lean meat
  • rvice2
    rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I always stick with a veggie tray that I make myself (way cheaper than buying one) or a fruit tray (also make myself). That way, I know there is at least one thing that is going to be healthy. There are LOTS of recipes for veggie and fruit dips online that are super simple or you can just buy them. Good luck! I have learned to hate potlucks because I can NEVER stay on my diet with that much food around!
  • eliz_in_pink
    eliz_in_pink Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    thanks so much for all the help! i will def use it in the future.. turns out they needed someone to bring beverages.. lol.
    so, i decided since most of us are doing this biggest loser challenge at work i'm bringing in bottled water! :)
    i'm sure it wont be the biggest crowd pleaser, but it's healthier than pop, lol!
  • SoFancySoBlessed
    SoFancySoBlessed Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am going to make that chili this weekend sounds yummy :smooched: Great idea!