Mono

Options
My doctor has diagnosed me with mono and basically said that I need to lay off of the exercise. Does anyone know of anything I /can/ do, while keeping in mind that I have to be 'less active'? I can't just /not/ do anything...it's really frustrating. :(

Replies

• rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    walk and walk some more.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    No, you need to NOT do anything. Mono can be serious business. If your doc told you to rest, then do it. If you insist on exercising, you'll just prolong your illness. Do exactly what your doctor told you on this one.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    when i had mono my doctor told me that my spleen was enlarged and it could burst if you exercise
  • callipygianchronicle
    Options
    Mono is very serious and most people lose a significant amount of weight while sick with it. Everyone I know who has had mono has been VERY sick for weeks (a month + plus). I say give your body rest and as much fluids as you can tolerate. And when you have recovered slowly work up to exercising and feed your body wholesome, nutritious foods. Good luck to you.
  • janski2
    Options
    Tamara lost weight while she had Mono. It just happens.
  • debbielynn66
    Options
    I agree with ajweekley... I was diagnosed with mono a couple of years ago, and I worked at a gym at the time, and was SO TIRED all the time........I even pushed myself to do more and more, and eventually had to take a month off, which helped at the time. Take time off, and rest when you need to, or you are going to get worse. I do know how frustrating it feels, but when you are able, walk around the block or just very light exercise. Trust me, you will like it better in the long run. Weight loss and more exercising can wait until your health is back up to par!! Take care!!

Debbie
  • hotmooglelove
    Options
    DO NOTHING!!!! Exercise can most def rupture your spleen. If you want to maintain your weight loss, simply adjust your myfitnesspal setting to Sedentary, and delete any workout time you have setup.
  • uhoh_billy
    Options
    I had mono two summers ago and I put on 10 pounds because I ate so much. I was bored, and I let it get away with me, but even walking from the car into my seat in the movie theatre was too much stress on my body. You really just have to relax and let yourself heal. You may lose weight just from having mono but that isn't always the case. Just don't eat because you're bored! And if you snack, snack healthy and stay under those calories!

And if you wake up and your back is super sore, and everything hurts, especially under your ribcage on the left, GO TO THE DOCTOR! I learned the hard way and almost busted my spleen AT WORK! Bad news bears. Get better soon!
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I had mono many, many moons ago. I agree with everyone else and want to add to it--LISTEN to the doc! Even if after a week or two you start feeling better, don't over do it! I remember feeling listless for weeks. It was not fun. Just eat as healthy as you are able and you'll get better with time. I lost 30 pounds in 7 weeks when I had it--just didn't feel like eating or anything, really. Take it easy and rest. Once this is over, you will be able to rebuild your strength and be better than ever! Catch up on some dvd series or WATCH some exercise videos. Take care and let us know how its going.
    Kathy
  • sweetlilgiggles
    sweetlilgiggles Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Reading your responses helps me to feel better about not being able to do anything. I have noticed that I was losing more weight quicker recently, but just though that meant I was doing so well with my eating habits and exercise. I'll research how to change my MFP to sedentary and do that. Thankfully, I haven't had much of a problem with going over my calorie goal, but have had problems meeting it.

Now it's time to listen to my body and sleep instead of getting up and moving since I thought it was just because I was being lazy :P

Thank you again, everyone!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I wouldn't worry about calories right now. Log to keep yourself in the habit, but your needs are different right now. Eat when you can, but otherwise just push the fluids and rest.