So good it's GOT to be bad...

Options
wanderinglight
wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
I am a grilling FIEND and am in LOVE with grilled fruits.

I can't understand how something this delicious could actually be healthy!! I just grilled (on my little George Foreman) some peaches and fresh pineapple. They taste totally different once the sugars get all caramelized...OMG...sooooooo good!

Next up: Bananas -- I just sprinkled some with cinnamon and the tiniest bit of organic maple syrup. I can smell 'em already...

The only risk is going into a fruit coma.

Replies

• wanderinglight
    Options

I can't understand how something this delicious could actually be healthy!! I just grilled (on my little George Foreman) some peaches and fresh pineapple. They taste totally different once the sugars get all caramelized...OMG...sooooooo good!

Next up: Bananas -- I just sprinkled some with cinnamon and the tiniest bit of organic maple syrup. I can smell 'em already...

• age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    That sounds really yummy!! I'm addicted cinnamon right now:tongue:
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Oh my! You just got the wheels turning in my head. What a good idea!
    Wouldn't the bananas get mushy? Please share your secret!
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    The bananas do get a bit squishy but they are still sooooo good. I tried one just on the grill, straight up, with a little bit of maple syrup, then the other one I wrapped in tinfoil and just sprinkled cinnamon on (no sugar).

The one in the tinfoil got a bit squishier than the one that was just on the grill on its own.

Both were excellent!

But by far, the pineapple is my favorite.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Wow, that sounds so good!! I love my george foreman but never thought to use it for that!! I will definitely have to try it!

Did you see the recipe I posted..it's down a few...but its grilled peaches over arugula, goat cheese and prosciutto!
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    You are loving the grilled fruit (you served that at Saturday's brunch, no?).

You've inspired me to try it. I usually do fresh pineapple with shrimp, shewered and grilled on the BBQ, but your combos sound great! Can I skip the syrup do you think?
    :smile:
  • neurogirl
    neurogirl Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmmm! Grilled fruit rocks! I love having it that way. Another trick is to sprinkle some Splenda on the bananas once you've cut them in half (vertically - long ways) and then use a blow torch (or a small butane torch made for the kitchen if you're not so bold). The Splenda caramalizes and hardens a bit. Add some sugar free, low fat vanilla ice cream for an extra treat. It's awesome with some grilled fruit added to it. Best sundae ever!
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    YES! AJCM -- can't believe you remembered! The grilled fruit was a huge hit at the brunch and I haven't stopped since. Yes, I'm sure you can skip the syrup. Everything is just as good without it.

I still can't believe that naked fruit would be this good...and would taste so different than raw!

Love the blowtorched bananas idea! {{unrequited longing for a blowtorch...sigh...}}

And Tam, I did see your recipe for peaches & arugula salad but haven't tried it yet...it sounds amazing though!
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I never thought of using my Forman grill for fruit but I can't wait to try some:smile:
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I :heart: my George Foreman grill too!
    Hubbz grilled a banana a few months ago on the outdoor grill nd I loved it!
    Gonna try it on the George Foreman grill soon.... yummy!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    You know what is good too? A smoky kielbasa kebab with orange or yellow bell pepper and pineapple...grill it! YUMMM!!!!
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhh yummy!!!

I was thinking, grilled fruit??? Derrrrr!!! Kabobs!! I think I'm going to do this for dinner tonight. It sounds soooooOOoOoOoOoOoooo good! Thank you for the idea!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I love my George Foreman grill too! Grilled fruit. Hmm, never would have thought about that. I'm definitely going to try it. YUMMERS!! Thanks for posting that. :happy:
  • donna0003
    donna0003 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I never thought to grill fruit... but I am not much of a cook, hince the bad eating habits. I might have to try it sometime.
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I really love shish ka bobs with Cavendars Greek seasoning, soy sauce, a little sugar.

The Pineapple ends up being EVERYONE's favorite part. I have to usually make a couple kabobs of just pineapple and meat!

If you havent tried Cavendars yet... do so!

http://www.greekseasoning.com/
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Options

I am definitely going to have to give this a try...

I wonder how it would work on the BBQ?

~curious look~
  • BreaNix
    BreaNix Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Sounds awesome! I can't wait to try it, I bet my kids will love it too.
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    The great thing about it is you can modify it for a camping treat!!! I never would have thought about it...as I pull out the marshmallows and chips.....but our friends brought out tinfoil, fruit and maple syrup and made little packages to sit next to the fire.......YUMMY!!!! The syrup and sugars from the fruit caramelize and tast scrumptious!!! What a treat while your camping, and I always feel a need for a treat while camping!!!
  • jakspak
    jakspak Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    ok im so coming to your house for pudding mmm sounds great will have to tell inlaws about it for there one but sadly we dont ahve one will add to list of things to get when we get back from our trip lol.
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    I really love shish ka bobs with Cavendars Greek seasoning, soy sauce, a little sugar.

The Pineapple ends up being EVERYONE's favorite part. I have to usually make a couple kabobs of just pineapple and meat!

If you havent tried Cavendars yet... do so!

http://www.greekseasoning.com/

Yummmmm...OMG...sounds so good!!!! What else do you put that seasoning on?

I'm leaving tomorrow for my next shoot, and am wondering if it would be crazy person behavior to bring my little George Foreman grill with me to the hotel...lol.