What is the pasta serving size based on - dry or cooked?

Options
I'm very confused. I'm making whole grain linguine tonight and the box (Barilla brand) says 2 oz. is a serving size. However, they didn't specify whether that's 2 oz. cooked or 2 oz. dry. That's a big difference and I don't want to overeat or underestimate my calorie intake. Anyone know whether they mean dry or cooked? I appreciate any help. Thanks!

Replies

• JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    This also confuses me...
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    It's uncooked weight.
  • NCisME
    NCisME Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    confuses me as well..

Looking forward to reponses.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    its UNCOOKED =)
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure that's uncooked... usually a serving is something like a cup cooked. Or maybe it's a half cup... whatever. If it's in ounces, I'd say that is before cooking.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    2oz uncooked however that should convert to 1 cup cooked spaghetti other pastas will vary slightly
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    It's dry.

When it's cooked water is absorbed but the amount of water may vary depending on how long you cook it.
  • KokomoJoe
    Options
    I believe the package is for dry pasta and when you cook it in water it will absorb, however water has no calories so your good there.
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I believe the package is for dry pasta and when you cook it in water it will absorb, however water has no calories so your good there.

Right, but the water will affect the size. Probably not too significantly but it's not something the company can control so I'm guessing that's why they go by uncooked sizes.
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I found this on the subject:

http://www.ilovepasta.org/faqs.html#Q10
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    uncooked. for sure.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    same is true of rice, or other stuff you cook in water which swells up
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    2oz uncooked however that should convert to 1 cup cooked spaghetti other pastas will vary slightly

Exactly. As a rule of thumb most cooked pastas are between 180-220 cals per cup.