I joined a gym again .. how do i make it exciting???

want_to_be_skinny
want_to_be_skinny Posts: 42
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Ok so I joined a gym a few years ago and found it boring boring boring...and then I joined a strickley cardio class and it is a very fun class but it ends too late at night then I get home and am wired and can't get to sleep until 11 or 12 and I get up at 4:30am sooooooo I am back at a gym ( not the same one as before) this one offers swimming and a whirlpool as well as the regular treadmills and bikes and weights.. Anyone have suggestions to make this more enjoyable... I am going to go right after work (hopefully everyday) how long should I spend on a treadmill or a bike??? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• Well, what part do you find boring? Using machines? A particular machine?

My preference is doing group exercise. I mix it up as much as I can: yoga 3 days a week and a body sculpt class one day. I mix up the rest of my workout with Zumba, bootcamp, and a couple of sessions on machines (20 minutes on the elliptical & 20 on the stationary bike). That’s what works for me right now. But more than anything, I think you just have to commit to going and finding what causes that endorphin release.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    iPod! iPhone! Music makes all the difference for me. I have actually postponed going to the gym because my phone battery is dead/too low. HAHA

about an hour on the bike burns 500 calories, do that each day and that all by itself will result in a 1 lb loss every week. (as long as your calories are on track)
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    i find it fun doing free weights i also like to listen in on peoples conversation like these kids who saw me bench pressing by myself i was benching as much as them as a warm up and threw on another 30 pounds they were like hes gonna hurt himself pushed up 8 reps and showed them lol idk i just like it :)
  • Firstly I would advise music, take your ipod with tracks which help you exercise or even pod casts on them so you can listen to the news etc

second record your progress so you can see how you improve on the equipment you use

third try and get a friend to go to the same gym- if you both agree to meet every mon/wed at a certain time you are less likely to skip it even if you dont work out together. meet up again in the whirlpool afterwards

I find my number one rule for a gym is location- if its over 20mins away from your house theres too many excuses with time etc not to go
    second is the facilities and cleanliness

Good luck and do try all the different classes,
    pilates, kettle bells cyclecise? there is a whole range if your gym offer them? and the variation keeps it fun

as for how long on a cardio machine, well if you get bored after ten mins try a different one, change to the rower or the step master- variation will keep you interested but also works different muscles (have you considered some weight training too? )

oh one last thing if you run get a nike plus sensor they are very cheap and plug into most i pods. it records your runs and you can share it with other runners or your friends on fb etc but best of all it shows you your progress so you can see the improvements.

DONT go every day! you will burn out, not get the results you want and feel disheartened, aim for a realistic start but what ever you choose the body needs rest days. better to adopt long term exercise patterns of 3 times a week then do it 7 days a week for 2 months and then drop out completely

hope this helps( get a good magazine for tips too)
This discussion has been closed.