Hey P90X regulars, I need advice!

mirahonthawall
mirahonthawall Posts: 236 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Ok so for my next workout venture (I just completed Insanity), I was planning on doing some sort of combination of P90X/Insanity/Turbo Fire. I'm still working out the fine details of the schedule, but my dilemma is I don't have a pull-up bar. I don't plan on getting one. After surveying my apartment, I don't think my door frames can accomodate one (they're seriously like 1cm thick). In addition, the doors that I do have that may accomodate the piece you can buy for the resistance bands are all in awkward spots nowhere near my TV, I guess it's hard to explain, you'd have to see the layout of my apartment to really understand.

Basically i've concluded my apartment cannot accomodate the pull-up bar NOR the resistance band modification.

So my queries:

1) Should I just forego the exercises that require pull-ups altogether?
2) Are there any other workouts that are similar to pull-ups?
3) How important are the pull-up exercises? If i'm willing to sacrifice (to an extent) a tight back/shoulders would it be okay?
4) ANYTHING you guys have to suggest I would love to hear it.

Pls inquire here or send me a PM!

Thanks guys.

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    The only thing I can think of is to get a back workout at the gym if you attend one. You can combine lat pull down with pull ups/chin ups from the bars there?
  • mirahonthawall
    i must also mention i don't have a gym membership, i've got weights, a resistance band.
    maybe i should just do an intense google search
  • Only other thing I can think of is just doing seated back flys.
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    You could buy a stand alone dip/pullup bar. I have one and it kicks *kitten*.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    The DVD's show you ways to use the resistance bands for the back exercises. In some of my pics you'll see how our resistance bands are situated. I would do at least one back workout per week. You can find additional bands at Sports Authority or most sporting good stores.

JLee could probably help you with a hybrid schedule.
  • mirahonthawall
    hey E i looked at your pics, and i'm kind of confused. is it a piece that you're nailed to the wall? and if so i'm assuming it's pretty sturdy? i could probably swing something like that, i'd have to ask my super if i can put some holes in the wall lol.

and as far as the schedule, i've had one made up quite a while back, but as far as Turbo Fire i've only included the HIIT workouts and i'd like to incorporate more of the fire workouts. i'd make it a TF/P90X hybrid, but i love my man shaun t too much
  • edorice
    Nope, the door is closed on a handle of sorts that the resistance bands loop through at the top. We have both Bodylastic and TRX resistance bands.

You're becoming hardcore. There is nothing you can't do after surviving 63 days of Insanity. I don't know if I'm at the point of liking Shaun T yet...
  • Oh yea I do have a hybrid schedule for those 3. If you want it PM and I can send the link to you. It's a bit crazy but it will rock your body!!!
  • mirahonthawall
    oh E i've been into shaun t since my hip hop abs days, and if you knew me in real life, you'd know i'm hardcore at everything i do! ;)
    it looks like trying to modify with resistance bands is the route i'll go down....gotta figure that ish out!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    I have a free standing pull up bar I got for less money than the door frame version and love it. It seems so much safer to me. My walls are plaster and I was worried about damage to my doors. I got it off amazon.co with free shipping at about $70.
  • edorice
    Yeah, we are going to go with the free standing route as well. Old 50 year house can with molding around the doors can't handle that pull up bar. Found that out the hard way.
This discussion has been closed.