crunches/ab question.

healthychic
healthychic Posts: 298
edited September 18 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok, heres the deal. I usually have a lot of knowledge about working out but this has always confused me. In order to get those washboard flat abs I know you have to have a good diet, but also when I do crunches at the gym do I NEED to suck your stomach in while doing them? Will it be pointless to even do crunches if you skip that step? I don't even know if I know how to do it, I always feel as though I am doing it wrong.

Any help here?? lol

:heart: Danielle

Replies

• healthychic
    Ok, heres the deal. I usually have a lot of knowledge about working out but this has always confused me. In order to get those washboard flat abs I know you have to have a good diet, but also when I do crunches at the gym do I NEED to suck your stomach in while doing them? Will it be pointless to even do crunches if you skip that step? I don't even know if I know how to do it, I always feel as though I am doing it wrong.

Any help here?? lol

:heart: Danielle
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Yes, contract the muscles/tighten. And the breathing is important too. Have you ever tried pilates it really concentrates on the proper techniques. You really don't have to work hard for ab success it is more techniques than anything
    Anne
  • healthychic
    no i havent tried pilates but maybe i should. I know, you should hear my boyfriend talk, he acts like you have to be in tip-top shape to get a flat stomach, and eat the perfect foods! and i know thats not always the case. thanks for your help!
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    It's not so much "sucking in" though as thinking about it as sort of "flattening" your belly button into the back of your spine. Not to get too picky, but just wanted to make sure you are still breathing as you do them (and if you are sucking in you might be holding your breath). Years ago I had a personal trainer who told me that if you are not exhaling as you do them you will never see results.
  • healthychic
    i just tried what you said..the breathing and sucking in at the same time. its acutally easy, i think i get it now. i was doing what you said not to do..haha. i was not breathing while doing them, thats why i probably havent seen results:ohwell:
This discussion has been closed.