Question about 30 day shread weight gain

k2d4p
k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
So as the title suggests, I have now gained weight for 3 straight days and the only difference in my routine is I started the 30 day shread. Before anyone tells me the obvious, "you are building muscle and muscle is more dense than fat" I understand that. I am wondering if anyone else has gained weight from this program.

I have decided to stop doing it. I have no desire to have the muscle definition that Jillian Michaels has. I was simply hoping to lose a few extra pounds on top of my normal gym routine. I am going to keep doing what I was doing before because it was working great. Anyone else gained weight from this?

Also, did anyone else think it was not that hard? The 3rd routine was a the most challenging, but not too much so. Just curious.

Replies

• it could be that because you have started a vigorous exercise cycle, you might be hungrier and eating more?
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    I've been on the program for almost 2 weeks, and my weight loss has stayed pretty consistent. I've only done the first routine so far, and I agree that it's pretty easy. I'm planning to try the 2nd routine tonight.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    I bet that your muscles are retaining water. 3 days isn't really enough time for you to be gaining muscle weight. Its probably just water honestly.
  • I use the 30 day shred as a filler on days I can't make it to the gym. If you have gained weight in 3 days then I have to say stop weighting your self. Weight yourself once a week. Doing it every few days is not healthy for the mind. Most ppl gain water weight. Look at those few days and see if you ate any thing different. Are your retaining water weight? If its close to your cycle then you can gain weight. i wouldn't worry to much. Keep on exercising and eating right. It will all come off.

I like the DVD's but you have to push yourself. Get heavier weights or do a faster paced dvd. Some ppl just don't do good at home exercising.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    you can't gain muscle in 3 days. it honestly takes months to build muscle. the huge benefit of strength training while losing weight is that it helps you maintain that lean muscle you already have and use more fat storage.

so it's more likely that iour muscles are retaining water as it was suggested. they're healing from being used more vigorously. while the number on the scale may suck, i would not fret quite yet.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    The posters who are saying your muscles are retaining water are absolutely correct! You've started a new workout. Your muscles get damaged during a workout. After your workout they pull in extra water to help in the repair process. They also use that extra water to store glycogen (which is food for your muscles to burn during a workout). After a couple weeks, the muscles will start dropping the water. Stopping the new workout after 3 days WILL result in temporary weight loss, but it will not move you closer to your end goal! Keep at it for AT LEAST a month. THEN re-evaluate.

Also- don't weigh yourself so often! (This coming from a person who has been known to weight twice a day!) How much water you've drank, how much undigested food is in your stomach/intestines, how much "waste" is in your intestines/bladder, and many other factors (sodium, TOM, etc etc.) can cause to fluctuate as much as 5 lbs a day! Weighing once a week will give you a better idea of the trend in your weight loss.

Keep working! HTH!
  • x3mommy
    x3mommy Posts: 73 Member
    Yes only weight once per week. I am impressed you think that Level 1 is easy.. I still haven't been able to do it without stopping yet... and this is my second go of it (tried around this time last year). Keep up the good work and you will be rewarded!
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    When you tax muscle it inflames with water. Muscle is mostly water. It will stabilize over time. Fluctuations up to 5lbs from water is not uncommon. Your calorie load will tell you what it is. If you truly had and excess calorie load of 10500 calories then yeah the 3lbs of weight is real. I highly doubt that's the reason.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Yes, you're retaining water for sure. Your muscles are pulling in water due to your workout. It's temporary. The more muscle you have, the more calories your burn and the more fat you lose. Really. Drink more water to help flush it out.

Don't give up!:flowerforyou:
  • The posters who are saying your muscles are retaining water are absolutely correct! You've started a new workout. Your muscles get damaged during a workout. After your workout they pull in extra water to help in the repair process. They also use that extra water to store glycogen (which is food for your muscles to burn during a workout). After a couple weeks, the muscles will start dropping the water. Stopping the new workout after 3 days WILL result in temporary weight loss, but it will not move you closer to your end goal! Keep at it for AT LEAST a month. THEN re-evaluate.

Also- don't weigh yourself so often! (This coming from a person who has been known to weight twice a day!) How much water you've drank, how much undigested food is in your stomach/intestines, how much "waste" is in your intestines/bladder, and many other factors (sodium, TOM, etc etc.) can cause to fluctuate as much as 5 lbs a day! Weighing once a week will give you a better idea of the trend in your weight loss.

Keep working! HTH!

GREAT post! Thank you!!
This discussion has been closed.