sharp pain in right side during exercise

Options
So i have been exercising pretty well these past couple of weeks. I have noticed when i push myself harder than normal or do a difficult routine i find that i get an incredibly sharp dehabilitating pain in my right side. The pain is about halfway down my ribs all th way to the top of my hip. It occurs suddenly but takes a few mins to go away. I find that it is jus tthis one side and it is aggravated when i take deep breaths. Any ideas of what this is and how I can avoid it? I really want to do more intense exercises like p90x but i cant because of it. Thx in advance and God bless!

Replies

• sapphiretyger
    sapphiretyger Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Best to get medical advice rather than trying to self diagnose or ask us here!
  • Dom80
    Dom80 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. My doctor said it is called runners cramps.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    it sounds like the normal "stitch" in your side that one gets from exercising. IDK what other people call it, that's what my mom always called it. Deep breaths add more oxygen and the muscles loosen up, then you're fine. As your cardiovascular health improves, it should lessen, if that's what it is.
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Best to get medical advice rather than trying to self diagnose or ask us here!

I agree. I have to say though that, that happens to me from time to time and when I asked my doctor about it, he said it was most likey..uh hemm..waste that was stuck in my intestine which can happen from time to time. I know it's not a pretty thought, yet after I took advice of drinking luke warm water in the morning and the evening and waiting an hour at least before exercising; it did get better. But DO talk to your doctor about it, for it can be something way more serious. Good luck to you!
  • cakeordeath
    cakeordeath Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Yeah I got that today. It's called a "stitch" in your side.
  • Jodie_Wilson9
    Options
    It sort of does sound like a side stitch. How long after you eat do you exercise? You should wait at least an hour, a little longer if possible, after you eat to begin exercising, especially cardio. Also, make sure you stay well hydrated. Drink plenty of water throughout the day and during exercise as you need to. I hope this helps, and I hope it's nothing more serious. Good luck!
  • PharmCat12
    Options
    We talked about this in one of my pharmacy classes. Here is a website with some information that might be helpful, and explains some of the theories pretty well:

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/injuries/a/aa053100a.htm

Try exhaling when your left foot hits the ground!

I do agree with sapphiretyger though, that if this is a persistent problem that still occurs after you give some of the techniques from the website above a try, you should probably see a doctor.
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    sounds to me you might need some lactic acid. I would eat more oranges and maybe some bananas to help with other cramps. Cramps can also come on from being dehydrated or having too much to drink before or during exercise. You should only sip water during a workout. Make sure you drink something with added electrolytes after a hard 30 min workout, any less water should do fine. Make sure you are hydrated but not floating. You also may want to keep an eye on your salt intake for a bit to see if that is the problem. It never hurts to get a Dr's advice when you have weird things going on when working out. I do hope this gets better for you and that you are able to get on the groove you are wanting so much. Also when it comes on try putting your arms over your head to take the deep breaths this should help.
  • lisarazz79
    Options
    deff get medical advice from your pcp but I can tell you I tore my hip flexor about 8 months ago very bad pain in my right side had to go through 8 weeks of PT to stenthen my core...now Im bak in PT because I get muscle spasams on my right side...grrr it is frustrating you think im working out doing good for my body and health and I keep hurting myself...they say the more flexable you are the less likely you are to tear pull or strain muscles....lots of steching and a strong core keep up the good work!!
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I get them frequently while running. I find that when I'm not breathing correctly, either too sharp of breaths or not frequently enough I develop the side stitch. So I have to concentrate on taking deep breaths rather than little, sharp, frequent ones.
  • Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    my doctor said it was normal when you havent exercised in a long and as long as it doesnt last more than a few mins i will be fine but i just wanted to make sure... thx u guys