Canned tuna

Options
What are some yummy ways of preparing canned tuna fish without using mayo? I'm sure there are tons of other ways to make it, but I've always been used to it being served with mayonnaise.

Replies

• wan2b21
    wan2b21 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Try Substituting Avocado for Mayo =)
  • jennifer3998
    jennifer3998 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Try Substituting Avocado for Mayo =)

Ohhhhh I never thought of that. I might throw a Wholly Guacamole 100-cal pack in with it tomorrow....thanks for the suggestion! Maybe add some chopped tomatoes and red onion too!
  • joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Try mustard or mustard seeds.
  • PharmCat12
    Options
    I really like the packages of tuna that are pre-flavored but still pretty low calorie. My favorites are the sun dried tomato or the lemon pepper. Alternatively, you could season the canned tuna with some Mrs. Dash - essentially no calories, and salt-free! Those also come in a bunch of flavors - I really like the Carribean Citrus Mrs. Dash on fish. Yummy!
  • newnicole
    Options
    I LOVE TUNA
    I used to eat it all the freaking time
    here ya go...
    try either
    light fat free ranch instead of mayo or just throw tuna in which some cheese and make a sandwich melt
    tuna with grapes and mayo is amazing and throw some pecans in there
    i love tuna with pickles too ha i could go on and on just experiment in your kitchen :)
  • tiffsNEWlife
    Options
    I try fat free or light ranch. I also have used fat free sour cream. That's one's really good!!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I use low fat sour cream.

I'm a spice person so I also like to use siracha as well as adding stuff like cayenne and/or chili powder.

all of the above also tastes great with some finely diced cucumber mixed in as well.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    I use light lemonaise... OR a smidge olive oil and mustard. Also good on tuna is fresh lemon juice. The avocado sounds good too! Talk about your daily Omega 3! :-D
  • HungryTuna
    Options
    For a fresh taste, try these suggestions:

- Freshly squeeze lemon juice, salt & pepper with shredded lettuce.
    - Avocado, lime juice, s&p.
    - Mustard and pepper
    - Veganaise (lower calories than regular mayonaise can be found at Whole Foods)

Those are ways I'd eat tuna before going vegetarian. (my favorite was the first one.)

Hope this helps!
  • kerryannk
    Options
    ive been noticing that greek yogurt is a great sub for mayo. ive yet to use it, but many people have recommended it in other posts.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I mix it with some egg white and cook it like a pancake. You can add things like green onion, onion, celery (diced REALLY small), etc. I like to add 2 Tbsp of nutritional yeast... but most people don't know what that is. You can top with any of the mentioned toppings - I like using mayo, hot sauce, avocado, pico de gallo... whatever I'm in the mood for.

I use about 1/4 cup of egg white for a can of tuna.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    with some four bean mix and salsa
    \
    can add mixed vegies also.

I sometimes put some moroccan seasoning on instead of salsa.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I mix it with some egg white and cook it like a pancake. You can add things like green onion, onion, celery (diced REALLY small), etc. I like to add 2 Tbsp of nutritional yeast... but most people don't know what that is. You can top with any of the mentioned toppings - I like using mayo, hot sauce, avocado, pico de gallo... whatever I'm in the mood for.

I use about 1/4 cup of egg white for a can of tuna.

I thought I was the only freak that cooked tuna with egg whites. Of course, I'll cook just about anything in egg whites, so that's not really saying much. lol

As far as using tuna in other ways, yeah, there's a ton. I just answered my version of making a cold tuna salad. Often, if I want to do a tuna melt I don't add much other than spices and veggies to the tuna since the melted cheese ends up holding it all together anyway.

We always have tuna in the house, it's often the "oops, we don't have anything else, thank goodness we have tuna!" heheh
  • Jaedynmoon
    Jaedynmoon Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Tuna, a few marinated artichokes (the marinated artichoke oil adds to the tuna to moisten it up a bit to stick), lemon juice, and pepper...yummmm!

Or just mustard, celery, red onion, bit of avocado..yummy!

I like eating my tuna salad on those Wasa whole grain crackers. Really good!
  • HungryTuna
    Options
    ive been noticing that greek yogurt is a great sub for mayo. ive yet to use it, but many people have recommended it in other posts.

Yes! Greek yogurt is a fantastic substitute for mayo and sour cream! It's gotta be plain to get that same effect! Great suggestion!
  • Jaedynmoon
    Options
    Yes! Siracha is so good in tuna!! I do that a lot too.
    I use low fat sour cream.

I'm a spice person so I also like to use siracha as well as adding stuff like cayenne and/or chili powder.

all of the above also tastes great with some finely diced cucumber mixed in as well.
  • HungryTuna
    Options
    Tuna, a few marinated artichokes (the marinated artichoke oil adds to the tuna to moisten it up a bit to stick), lemon juice, and pepper...yummmm!

YUM! Your suggestions are making me crave tuna!! lol
  • Jaedynmoon
    Options
    Glad I'm not the only one!! I was making a mental note to eat tuna for lunch tomorrow because this post has me wanting tuna!!

YUM! Your suggestions are making me crave tuna!! lol
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • morawjo
    morawjo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I do a can of tuna mixed with fat free miracle whip and occasionally I'll add a little bit of relish and throw it into a wrap with lettuce...sooo yummy!!