Home gym workouts

Mads1997
Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I have just bought a home gym and have no idea what exercises to do and how many reps of each. Does anyone know of a website that suggest a routine for beginers? please

Replies

• kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Which piece of equpment did you buy?

I only have some hand weights and the Total Gym and you know what? I love and use my hand weights a lot more than the TG! My hubby uses the TG so it's not going to waste.

Try going to fit tv.com or even do a search on YouTube. You may find some good exercies there.
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    In regards to number of reps, it depends upon what your goals are. Traditional wisdom suggests that more reps with lighter weight is effective for fat burning (although to a lesser degree than cardio exercises will provide) and toning, while fewer reps with heavier weight is more effective for building strength and muscle.

If you're just beginning, my recommendation would be to select one exercise for each major muscle group, and perform 3 sets per exercise.
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    without knowing what gym you have - the easy answer is 3 sets per body part, 3 times a week for a full-body workout.

Chest: Press, Fly, Push-Ups
    Shoulders: Press, Raise, Pike Press
    Back:Lat Pull-Down, Row, Pull-Up
    Legs: Squats, Lunges
    Biceps: Curls, Chin-Ups
    Triceps: Pull Downs, Chair Dips

Spend the most time on the bigger body parts, the least on the small ones. Lift heavy and cut your rest time down for weight loss! The old super high rep thing just isn't shown to do anything. I included a body weight exercise on each part which you should do for core work and to keep mixing it up.

Best of luck,

Steve
    KnightFit.com
This discussion has been closed.