what is the max amount of cals you will allow yourself to un

Options
i'm sure this has been posted before, but seriously. i exercise a lot and am often under calories. will you go to bed with 100 calories left? 400? 600? what's the max for you? i think i'm putting myself into starvation mode because i am not losing pounds or inches.

Replies

• alaskagrown
    alaskagrown Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    title should be "max amount of cals you will allow yourself to undereat?
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    For me, (obviously other than today! LOL) I try hard to meet goal + at least 25% of exercise cals. So, if goal is 1500, and I burn 400, I try to eat at least 1600. Basically, I try hard to keep net over 1200 - if I don't, I can feel it. Hence, tomorrow will suck! :laugh:
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    i don't always eat my exercise calories because I don't own a HRM. Sometimes I allow to 50%. I just got one though so I guess we will see tomorrow. I don't think any calculations are accurate

Maybe shake things up. eat more for a few days. Or try switching the percentages on your profile so that you're in-taking different camounts of protein fats and carbs

best wishes!
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Since you are on 1200 calories a day, you should really eat as close to your goal as possible.

However, if you burn a lot of calories from exercise, since it's not an exact science and is overestimated a lot, I would target 1200+ 70% of your exercise calories.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    my daily allowance of calories + 30% of exercise cals earned
  • nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I dont normally eat any of my exercise calories, I occasionally slip over into them but not often.
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I try to eat close to my goal, and rarely eat my exercise calories, but I am also having problems not losing weight or inches and sometimes only net 1100 calories, so I think I am going to have to re-vamp my intake and try to eat more.
    But I feel SO guilty when I don't get it just right and end up going over my goal. This stuff sucks.
  • ottawagirl613
    ottawagirl613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It depends whether you are set at 1200 or higher. At 1200 I would eat almost all of them or your body will eventually go into starvation mode. But as someone was mentioning exercise is often overestimated and you should probably stay around 75% if you want to ensure you're not going over.

I am eating closer to 1400 calories a day and will eat my exercise calories every day (I love cooking AND food). I don't usually earn more then 300 calories exercising though, and I try to make safe estimates. Let me tell you I can feel it if I'm under 1200 with exercise and I generally don't think it's enough food for anyone having followed it before. I am still steadily losing at 1430 calories plus any and all exercise calories I earn, and I am SO much happier. It may take a little longer but I am far less likely to quit when I'm eating the way that I do (which is amazingly well for being on a "diet" lol).
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    It depends whether you are set at 1200 or higher. At 1200 I would eat almost all of them or your body will eventually go into starvation mode. But as someone was mentioning exercise is often overestimated and you should probably stay around 75% if you want to ensure you're not going over.

I am eating closer to 1400 calories a day and will eat my exercise calories every day (I love cooking AND food). I don't usually earn more then 300 calories exercising though, and I try to make safe estimates. Let me tell you I can feel it if I'm under 1200 with exercise and I generally don't think it's enough food for anyone having followed it before. I am still steadily losing at 1430 calories plus any and all exercise calories I earn, and I am SO much happier. It may take a little longer but I am far less likely to quit when I'm eating the way that I do (which is amazingly well for being on a "diet" lol).

My opinion exactly! Must be because we're close to the same size and are both Canadian! :flowerforyou:
  • mrb_9110
    mrb_9110 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I eat back all of my exercise calories to keep my net at 1200. I feel that if I do this, I may lose weight a little slower, but I'm so much more likely to stick to this lifestyle for the rest of my life. I'd rather keep the weight off for good :)
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Better a little over than under for me but I don't give it much thought. Some days I'm over some under. You really don't need to worry too much on a daily basis. As long as it averages out over a period of days you'll be fine and unintentionally zig-zagging calories.
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I generally eat as close to my goal as possible, and was eating all my exercise calories as well. But in a week, I gained 4 pounds. Turns out MFP was WAY overestimating the burn. So now, I am attempting to stay as close to 1500 (my daily goal) as possible. I do not stress if I go over a little though since I have that exercise calorie net.
  • alaskagrown
    alaskagrown Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM and so I think I'm estimating my exercise pretty well (maybe 100 cals or so either way over a full day). I'm not having trouble with cravings (except TOM). I think my average net calories is about 800, though.

cal%20report.jpg
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    It depends, I’m a guy 6’2, 255 and do normally 600+ cal burn in exercise every day, so I get a lot of cals allowed. It depends on how I feel, if at the end of the day, I’m hungry and have cals to spend, I eat them, but most days I have at least 400 left over, sometimes close to 1000, but mostly closer to 400. So far it has worked for me, I have lost every week. Side note I don’t count cals as closely on weekends as I do during the week, so I may be making up for it on the weekends, but I do try to be “good” just not as strict.