Whey protein?

Options
has anyone ever tried this daily in their diet i just recently got this an was wondering if i should take it before or after my workout and use water or milk ? will this help with weight loss?

Replies

• 305muscle
    305muscle Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Take it with water after workout its the best protein to build lean muscle
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I mix the vanilla with skim milk and frozen berries in the blender and it's awesome. Also, the chocolate is good with just milk. The milk hides the weird taste of the powder better, and it adds even more protein. As for helping you "lose weight", then not really. It's not magic. You have to work out hard and use it to help you build muscle, which will make you look better and muscle burns more fat in the long run so, yes, but only if you work hard.
    I just don't want you to think it's some sort of "diet trick" where you can drink it and lay on your couch, it's not like that.
  • WoolieNC
    WoolieNC Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been using it and I take it about 30 minutes before and it has really put a kick in to my workout. I know some use it within an hour after, I would try both and see which ones works best for you
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer told me to drink it AFTER (not before!!!), within 45 mins - an hour. Drinking it before means your body will metabolize that instead of your fat, drinking it after will help your body replenish your muscles.

Drink it with either milk or water - but water if you want to lower the calories. I blend mine with frozen fruit :smile:
  • radwan_masri
    Options
    I am also new into this; I started only last week; I agree with most here, my trainer told me one hour after exercise, it helps re-build your muscle tissues after weight lifting, as far as weight loss, I am not sure!!!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is calories in versus calories out. If you have protein powder in your diet and you still have a deficit of calories, then you will lose weight. If you have protein powder in your diet but have a surplus of calories, then you will gain weight.

Protein powder is a great way to boost your protein count in case you don't want to have another chicken breast today...and if used sensibly just like that chicken, you'll lose weight.

But it isn't a magic diet shake. There's no such thing as a shake or certain food that makes you lose weight or raises your metabolism...clean diet, exercise...that's all. But whey protein powder is a good choice of lean proteins for your diet.

And I agree with having a protein shake within an hour after working out. It will aid in muscle repair, and if you have the shake with milk, the sugars in the drink will replenish glycogen stores which will reduce your muscle soreness.
  • forthefab5
    forthefab5 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I pretty much agree with everyone... protein is great for helping to repair your body and maintains and builds muscle... have a look at my diary, if I supplement with a protein shake, I usually have it as an evening snack as I usually don't get to the gym until late at night :)
  • lhague
    lhague Posts: 258
    Options
    I do a soy protein after strength training within 30 minutes of working out. My husband does the whey. Just be sure to check the labels for sucrose, fructose, and maltodextrin.
  • 311Phil
    311Phil Posts: 397
    Options
    I use chocolate whey protein powder with Chocolate Soy milk. Great protein, good fats, and TASTES GREAT!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!