Boosting Metabolism Help

elizwelshman
elizwelshman Posts: 136
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
What is the best way to boost your metabolism?
Are there certain types of foods I should be including in my diet?
What about types of exercises I should be looking into?
Any input would help me out a lot!
Thank you :smile:

Replies

• kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Eat frequently and exercise. Also, eat as much as you can while still losing weight. You'll be amazed at how your metabolism increases if you do these things.
  • forestdancers
    forestdancers Posts: 146 Member
    I heard on Dr Oz that cinnamon and hot peppers are supposed to help.
    I have been adding cinnamon to my yogurt and water. In the water it sinks but I use a straw to suck it off the bottom.
    Not a big fan of hot peppers so I have been skipping them for the most part.
  • Technically there is no such thing as a 'metabolism' - the word is used to describe the sum chemical reactions that take place within your body at any one point. Theoretically eating small, regular meals will increase the number of reactions taking place as you'll spend more time digesting - but this number is minimal. The whole 5-6 meals a day actually stems from Body Builders who have such large quantities of food to consume that its not possible in fewer, larger meals. It also gives your digestive system a bit of an easier time.

If you want to increase the number of calories you burn you need to increase your lean muscle mass since its muscle that is metabolically active. More muscle = more calories burnt to maintain them/use them.
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Technically there is no such thing as a 'metabolism' - the word is used to describe the sum chemical reactions that take place within your body at any one point. Theoretically eating small, regular meals will increase the number of reactions taking place as you'll spend more time digesting - but this number is minimal. The whole 5-6 meals a day actually stems from Body Builders who have such large quantities of food to consume that its not possible in fewer, larger meals. It also gives your digestive system a bit of an easier time.

If you want to increase the number of calories you burn you need to increase your lean muscle mass since its muscle that is metabolically active. More muscle = more calories burnt to maintain them/use them.
    Cant say it better no tricks. Watch what you eat, eat enough, do some form of real exercise 6 days a week , and build lean muscle, nothing fancy . Good luck.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    I heard on Dr Oz that cinnamon and hot peppers are supposed to help.
    I have been adding cinnamon to my yogurt and water. In the water it sinks but I use a straw to suck it off the bottom.
    Not a big fan of hot peppers so I have been skipping them for the most part.

forestdancer--

You are correct about the peppers, the capsaicin is said to increase metabolic activity, but cinnamon does not have the same effect. Cinnamon does have benefits, such as reducing fasting blood glucose in type 2 diabetics, and reducing cholesterol levels.

The information mentioned above is taken from Dr. Oz's website.

BTW, instead of putting cinnamon in your water, I suggest lemon wedges, as this is a good way to help your body release toxins. Cinnamon can be added to yogurt, as you have been doing, but also to oatmeal. I also add it to waffle or pancake batter, and it can add an interesting flavor to spaghetti sauce, or other tomato-based sauces.
This discussion has been closed.