too much exercise or Too many calories?

tmaksparkie
tmaksparkie Posts: 279
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi everyone I need a little help. I first would like to say I DON'T like my scale, I usually don't use it just a mirror and measuring tape. My daily calories are at 1650/day and I exercise 6 days a week doing 30 day shred and then 3x a week weight training and 40 min cardio. So on those 3 days I am exercising twice a day. I am not losing any fat, I eat a whole foods diet with fruit and veg and little carbs from grains. I drink 64-100oz a day (depends on the day) I know I am gaining muscle because I can see it and I am much stronger but I have about 20lbs of fat to get rid of. I am 5'4" 155lbs with a 30% body fat. Any suggestions?

Replies

• cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    are you eating your exercise cals I've been led to believe you are supposed to and I was always told that you should eat carbs before exercise and protein after so maybe restricting your carbs is not the right idea
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Are you mixing up your routines? Have you ever thought about trying HIIT training? Type in HIIT training on google and look at all the info and judge for yourself. When I started to use HIIT the first 3 weeks I didnt lose anything but I notched 3 belt loops. Its good at burning the goo off.
  • i just started tabata is leaves you buzzing, love it.

you must make sure you add all your cardio, and eat enough calories that you dont go into starvation mode!
    you need to eat a minimum of 1200 cals a day, my personal base level is 1400 that is what i need just to exist, if i didnt even move from the couch.
    if you drop below 1200 you will start to consume muscle and that is not good because you need muscle to burn the fat, and the moment you eat you will pile the pounds back on, i have watched my husband do it too many times, he has reach goal 4 times in the last 6 yearsa nd put it all back on plus some while i have been plodding along losing a few pounds a year after the initial big loses of the first 2 years
  • keash
    keash Posts: 12
    Hiya

Couple of things - To repeat an earlier post.. are you eating 1600 after your exercise calories have been taken into account... you should be... for example my target calories are 1400 but I eat 1600-1800 because I exercise 200-400 calories away a day.

Also Is your cardio session just once a week. The strength training I get, and you say is working as you can see results but you need your cardio to burn off the top layers of fat to show that muscle. Try splitting your one 40 mins into 2 20 mins... that is enough to change your results but at least 3 times a week would be best (even 3*20mins). Again though to do more cardio, you need energy, so balance up them meals a little.
  • Here is my exercise Monday - Saturday I do 30 day shred/biggest loser cardio/Jillian kettle bell, they take about 30 min each and I only do one a day I just change it up to keep it different. Then on sat/mon/wed I am at the gym also for my weight training and 40 min of cardio each day. My cals are set at 1650 without exercise and I have not eatin my exercise calories. I also vary what I do for cardio from arc trainers to elipticals biking stair stepper and running different each day. I do drink a protein shake with dexstrose after my weight training workout to recover muscles. I do get carbs from fruit before I workout.
This discussion has been closed.