Calories!

Options
Ok so I was really excited that I came just over 200 under my calorie count today and not over. But at the end of it all the computer said I need to eat all my calories so I don't go into starvation mode! Grr arrgg!! I am trying to understand the calories but I guess I just am not. My friend tried to explain it to me but I guess I didn't retain the information. Can you please make me understand? I am cutting my portion size and not going back for seconds and doing a bit of exercise everyday and I thought I was doing a great job but now I feel like I am just not getting it. Please help me!!! Thanks!

This is the message they posted when I clicked done.

*Based on your total calories consumed for today, you are eating too few calories. Not only is it difficult to receive adequate nutrition at these calorie levels, but you could also be putting your body into starvation mode. Starvation mode lowers your metabolism and makes weight loss more difficult. We suggest increasing your calorie consumption to 1,200 calories per day minimum.

Replies

• emersoam
    emersoam Posts: 179
    Options
    Ummm...yeah. No one should eat under 1,200 calories per day.
  • NMandaMarie
    NMandaMarie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    This is the best answer I was given: By using "Your Daily Summary" your "Food" should not go over your "Goal" and with exercise, your "Net" shouldn't drop below 1200. So without exercise, your calories in should be between your Net 1200 and your Goal. As for eating your exercise calories, Net should always remain 1200 or more so your body doesn't "starve". I find this really works for me.

Now I know some people exercise like mad (1000+cals) and that drops their Net down to a really low number (and I also know you shouldn't eat if you're not hungry) so I don't know how they calculate their daily summary....
  • chuckanderson
    Options
    You should eat your exercise calories back. MFP has already built in a weight loss to the calories of your goal. If you picked 2 lbs, it tells you how many calories to eat to achieve that. Eat your exercise ones back (and be honest about them), and just try to stay +-150 or 200 and you won't have a problem :)
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Extreme calorie reductions are also known as "yo-yo" diets. Your body acclimates to a new low calorie intake by reducing metabolic activity (including your brain.) Eventually most people on a fast will break the fast by bingeing. The body not being used to such a high caloric intake will grab all those calories and store them as fat, to gird itself for the next fast.
    Add a few more high quality calories that are nutrient dense and fiber rich, to keep the digestion steady. Exercise to keep oxygen in your blood and brain.
    If none of this is news to you, realize I am writing it to you as an excuse to repeat it to myself! Thanks for asking.
  • TheWolf77
    TheWolf77 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey Mamahafner!
    Gotta tell ya that you are doing well so far. It's not an easy change to make and I'm glad to see that you are starting this up with us!
    The first thing I want to find out is how many calories is it alloting you everyday? If it's 1200 you have to eat all of those calories just because that is the absolute minimum that your body needs just to function normally without storing converting everything to fat for survival.
    The other thing that you might want to do is to click on the "MY HOME" tab at the top and then go to the "GOALS" tab underneath.
    Under "Your Diet Profile" you will see the 3 most important items on that page:

"Your Calorie Goal"
    "Daily Calorie Deficit"
    "Projected Weight Loss"

Lets look at this Backwards to understand it better >

Projected Weight Loss > This is the number of pounds you selected to try to lose every week. (For the example lets use the maximum of 2lbs.)

Daily Calorie Deficit > This is how many calories the program has automatically removed from the number of calories you should be eating for your height to maintain your weight based upon the projected weight loss. (If you change the number of lbs you want to lose per week form 2lbs to 1lb you will find that this number goes down allowing you more calories every day, it also means you lose weight a little slower).

Your Calorie Goal > This is the number of calories you are alloted to you every day in order to lose weight. If you take this number and you add the Daily Calorie Deficit to it you the number you get is the amount of calories you need to consume to maintain your weight.

So The best thing to do is to first look at your calorie goal... if the goal is 1200 and you have it set to lose 2lbs per week, you have got to eat all 1200 calories or your body will go into starvation mode and it will store everything it can as fat in order to survive.
    There are 2 things you can do to change this goal so that you can make it easier for you.
    1) You can change the Projected Weight Loss - reduce the number of lbs you want to lose every week and it will give you more calories you are allowed to consume. That is the easy way out, but it also means that you lose weight slower.
    2) Work out more and make sure you put in every exercise you do in the exercise diary. This is important! By adding exercise to your day you are burning up more calories than you need to in order to lose weight, when you add those burned calories to your exercise diary it will automatically adjust your alloted intake for that day.
    For example, say you go to the gym and you burn off 220 calories in an hour on the elliptical. When you come back here and log that information, go and check your allotted totals you will see the message "You have earned 220 additional calories from exercise today" You will also see that your calorie goal will now say 1420, the other values will go up too (all with the exception of sodium).

I hope this helps. Just keep in mind, if your goal is 1200 calories then you have to eat all 1200 just to keep your body working. The best thing you can do is to do whatever it takes to increase that goal and then you can enjoy a little more without worrying about going overboard.
  • rodegghero
    rodegghero Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    If you are not feeling hungry and noticeyou are always 200 or so under wat you need, I would try adding in some healthy fats like avocado, nuts etc. This should help you get enough
  • mamahafner
    mamahafner Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I will make sure I eat at least 1200 calories each day. It is so great to have this community to help me thought my weight loss. :happy: