Potatoes for dinner

Options
Can anyone please give me some suggestions for lower calorie replacements for dinner ??? Grilled Pork chops with just carrots and green beans sounds a little boring. I'm allergic to pasta and dont like couscous!! So if anyone could please please suggest an alternative to potatoes or perhaps a sauce to liven up the meal.

Replies

• Lydbell
    Options
    I take cooked cauliflower and add some milk and a tiny bit of butter (optional) and put it in a food processor. Blend it up and it is a great substitute to potatoes. They taste very similar to mashed potatoes.
  • aimeemaryrose
    Options
    @Lydbell - agreed! Nutmeg is nice too if you throw that in with that recipe.
  • rodegghero
    rodegghero Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, bulghar, brown rice
  • ereeners
    ereeners Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I will also just boiled salt potatoes (without the salt) and put spray butter on them. They don't have that many calories...
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Barley! :happy:
  • Lakeside54321
    Options
    If you have a taste for hollandaise sauce... and you use low cal butter, or "I Can't Believe This Isn't Butter", the hollandaise sauces is a great..... tart..... sauce!

2 egg Yolks
    2 Tablespoons "I can't believe this isn't Butter
    3 Tablespoons Lemon Juice

All stirred together over low heat.... it is done in 4 or 5 minutes.... good stuff!
  • madlibpoet
    madlibpoet Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Kale recipes are everywhere and it is cheap and plentiful in the winter months!

Spinach can also be steamed or a cooked a thousand ways.

Vegetarian recipe sites like veg web dot com are great for vegetarian recipes - so are the Moosewood cookbooks.
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am not saying that they are the best for you, but chestnuts are a nice potato substitute. I started using them when making Moroccan tagines. They have a carb count so they are not for low carb people, but they are sweet and nutty and would be a nice compliment to pork chops. To start, I slit an big X on the bottom of them, and steam them for 15 minutes. Take them off the stove, let them cool enough to handle them and then peel them. Whatever you do from there is up to you. I like to place them in a dutch oven or tagine with chicken, diced onion, garlic, parsley, cilantro, olives and some spices and slow cook it down. They taste amazing and I am usually upset that I didnt double their count in the dish.
  • Stefani74
    Stefani74 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    My husband used to LOVE fried potatoes, so I started frying cabbage instead. I just chop it and season it, add a little low sodium broth instead of oil...and he's perfectly content with that as a substitute.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    New Potatoes are actually not that bad for you... and you could also do Sweet Potatoes, or MAshed Cauliflower
  • shannonbennett
    Options
    I am obsessed with potatoes so I eat Betty Crocker's instant ones - they're only 80 calories per serving and come in different flavors. As with anything instant, though, the sodium is high and of course they're high in carbs but I eat them anyway -- just not every night :happy:

Betty Crocker - Roasted Garlic Instant Mashed Potatoes (80 Calories)
    Serving Size: 3/4 prepared
    Calories 80
    Sodium 420 mg
    Total Fat 1 g
    Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 1 g
    Total Carbs 17 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g
    Dietary Fiber 3 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g
    Sugars 1 g
    Trans 0 g
    Protein 2 g
    Cholesterol 5 mg
    Vitamin A 0%
    Calcium 0%
    Vitamin C 4%
    Iron 0%
  • kateorgan
    Options
    Wow I was begining to despair and you have all given me lots of excellent ideas!!! I love cauliflower so thats the first one I'll try!!! Unfortunately my love of potatoes and the fact I am irish means there is no way I am going for the instant stuff!!! No offence lol!!!
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Sorry can't help out, I don't eat potatoes except sweet potatoes.:ohwell:
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I take cooked cauliflower and add some milk and a tiny bit of butter (optional) and put it in a food processor. Blend it up and it is a great substitute to potatoes. They taste very similar to mashed potatoes.

This works well. What I like to do is leave out the butter and add olive oil and maybe some garlic. One caveat, depending on how your body processes the cauliflower, you might want to start out with small portions of this stuff. It tastes awesome, but it gave me cramps and craaaaazy gas.