Question for FT work-outside-the-home moms?

Options
Hi. I don't post on the message boards much, but I'm at a terrible roadblock/plateau. My motivation to stay under calories is slipping away from me, and the scale's been mainly bouncing around from 17-20 lb. lost since the beginning of December 2010. I think I need to find a way to get some exercise, but I'm FULL of excuses. It's too cold (I live in Boston), I'm too tired to exercise at night after the kids are in bed, etc. I think I need to find a way to wake up and exercise in the morning, but it really is too cold to exercise outside until April/May, and my house is small, so when I do video/DVD/TV workouts, my kids (ages 7 & 3) wake up and want my attention (even though DH is asleep and usually helps them get ready for school in the mornings).

So, I wonder how other WOHM's make it work. A few friends do P90X, but I don't think that's right for me. It seems too intense, and from everything they've said, it's more for toning and improving muscle/fat ratios. Which is all good, but I've got 40-ish pounds to lose still. I want to lose fat first, then worry about fat/muscle %.

My other problem/excuse is finding a way to exercise that I enjoy, so I can keep it up for the long term, and not get sick of the same workouts over & over again.

So in a nutshell, if you're a FT WOHM, how often do you work out (how many minutes/day and times/week), and what kind of exercise do you do? Any and all advice is welcome.

Replies

• karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    65 view, but no replies? Am I just a hopeless case who needs to figure it out by myself?
  • lissie_ann
    lissie_ann Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    65 view, but no replies? Am I just a hopeless case who needs to figure it out by myself?

what was your question? I don't see it (but i'm new to the forums, so maybe I'm not looking at something right?)
    anyway, i'm a FT work-outside-the-home momma.....
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    Whats the ?
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    I need advice how I can fit some exercise into my life to break a 2.5 month plateau.
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I don't know what time you get up in the Am. But I found that the only way that I can get in any exercise is to do it before the kids get up. I get the kids up at 7 so when I'm not working out its 6ish for me. But with working out I get up at 5am now. I tried doing the before bed thing and with dinner, baths, bedtime etc. I just wasn't up for it. I tried the afterwork thing when hubs would keep the kids for an hour before dinner but I was too distracted with worrying about what was for dinner and missing time with my kids. On the weekends, I'll usually get in a workout at nap time. My kiddos are 1 & 3. So with that, I can get in a workout without taking time away from the kids.
  • cakennedy140
    cakennedy140 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ive started doing a fitness DVD before kids get up several times a week. I have gone to fitness classes in the evening but i couldn't do more than 2 a week. I'm now exercising 4 times a week in the mornings.

It works for me!
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    What kind of workout do you do @ 5 am that doesn't wake up the kids, and that you're motivated to get up that early to stick with it?
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    Well honestly most of us work and have kids you just need to say I'm worth it and do it. Myself I must exercise first thing in the morning or I dont get it done. So i get up early and do it. Also I needed to change the attitude that i desever to sit, to rest. to watch TV, be on the phone, read a book what ever I thought I needed , What I really needed was to move so I would feel better about myself. Make yourself important enough and it will get done. Take a walk, get some 10 min dvds just start with something YOU are Worth it.
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    It drives me crazy that my kids wake up so early & easily, but that my husband doesn't. Even the floorboards creaking wakes them up some days. :(
  • 2bfitforever
    2bfitforever Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I work at home and I get up at 5:30 AM to work out. Just easier that way. BTW, I am a recovering night owl so I had to readjust my internal clock.
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I actually had to move the DVD player into a the room farthest away from the kids because I was running into that too. Sometimes they still wake up but I'll hit pause, get them settled back into morning cartoons or with a drink and granola bar, and I get back to it. I'm doing P90X now, I started with 30day Shred initially. I love p90x but I would definitely recommend 30 Day Shred too. It was a good place to start for me. I know that I have to set the alarm and cell phone alarm, get my clothes out a head of time, just to make sure I have no excuses. Plus after a couple weeks, I started getting adjusted to waking up and actually felt better throughout the day so it helped rationalize waking up early and feeling better sure makes me a more fun Mama. :-)
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    Well honestly most of us work and have kids you just need to say I'm worth it and do it. Myself I must exercise first thing in the morning or I dont get it done. So i get up early and do it. Also I needed to change the attitude that i desever to sit, to rest. to watch TV, be on the phone, read a book what ever I thought I needed , What I really needed was to move so I would feel better about myself. Make yourself important enough and it will get done. Take a walk, get some 10 min dvds just start with something YOU are Worth it.

How did you make that attitude shift? It seems so much easier said than done. Every day, I tell myself I want to wake up early and TRY to get into a routine, but then then every morning, I oversleep, tell myself that it's not worth waking up the kids etc., or get up and take care of other things around the house that need to be done, but then "run out of time" for exercise, because I don't actually want to do it, I just want to have the benefits of doing it, if that makes any sense at all.
  • Dipmom
    Dipmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Can you work out during your lunch break? Either go for a walk or run some stairs? Does your office have a gym?
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    Can you work out during your lunch break? Either go for a walk or run some stairs? Does your office have a gym?

Usually not, I end up eating while I work or take only a short break. Plus, Boston weather doesn't help to go for a walk. My building does have a gym, but to exercise on my lunch break and break a sweat, I would need time for the workout, and then even more time to shower, refresh my hair & makeup and get back into work clothes.

I know it's all just excuses, but every day, I have to leave the office "early" (an hour before we close) to make daycare pickup on time, so I have less time to get everything done (high-stress legal job -- I'm one of 2 attorneys doing the work that used to be done by 6 attorneys, but we had a huge layoff 2 years ago). The stress from that layoff is when I actually started gaining most of this weight (I was 160 then, and I'm 187 now, after hitting 204).

I suppose if I joined the gym in the building, and came in extra early to work out, I could do that before work, but then I'm constantly lugging my makeup & clothes back & forth, and I have about a 10-minute walk to the train & back every day, plus I have to carry my laptop home & back daily, and I usually bring my lunch, which would add up to a LOT of stuff to carry back & forth.
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I am new to this, but I will give suggest to you what I have been doing or 3 or 4 weeks now. Like most moms, I also work fullt-time and I have 2 babies to take care of. My husband is away, so they are all I got. Since daddy isn't home, I don't want to take anymore time away from them than I have too. I get up early in the morning before they get up usually around 6. I do the 30-day shed by Jillian Michaels that someone else mentioned. I also have a pedometer, and I make sure that I get 10,000 steps a day. The 30-day shed is about 27 mins long with a warm-up and cool down. It is intense, but it gets results. You can do it!! It just takes motivation and determination.
  • outersoul
    Options
    I know you said moms but I think as a dad I qualify. I work full-time and I have 3 busy kids in sports. I'm a night owl so working out late is best for me. It's when my kids are in bed and I have dinner plus homework all done and checked.

To give myself time during the week to workout I use the weekend to plan ahead. I get all my work clothes ironed and ready for the week on Sunday. I keep my lunches simple so I can pack ahead of time and just grab a lunch from the fridge or freezer. I put aside at least an hour a night for 'me' time. I use that to workout or to catch up on the day.

It takes planning but it's certainly doable.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    What ages are your kids? I have a 10 year old and 13 year old and with their schedules, I also find that early morning is the only time I can be sure I will fit it in. I joined a gym that has a 5:15 am BodyPump class and it has been great working out with others. I also have found that when I work out in the morning, I make better choices through out the day. I also feel motivated in the evening, if I have time, to go back to the gym. 4:50 am comes really early and there are definitely days I want to just stay in bed, but so far, so good. I also try to take at least one day completely off. I find if I give myself that free pass ahead of time, I don't feel guilty about not going, I feel like I have earned it.

If mornings are great, I have a friend who organized a running group at lunch (they call themselves the Lunch Bunch) and they have grown to about 20 ladies.

Good Luck!
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    Thanks. Another reason (excuse) that I don't exercise after the kids are in bed is that my husband goes to the gym every other night at that time. If I went on the other nights, I'd only ever see him on the weekend, which I don't want.

My kids are 7 and 3.

I wish the gym near me offered good classes @ 5 am, but from what I've seen & heard, most of the classes don't start until 6, which would make me late for work by the time I showered, dressed & caught my train.
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    Oops, double posted.
  • dekarlo08
    Options
    My kids are 8, 2 and 7 months. You'd be surprised how much fun it can be for them. My son (8) loves doing Zumba videos with me and my daughter (2) mostly just jumps around and calls it exercise. You just need to find a way to make it work for you. It took me 32 years and 250 pounds to finally give up the excuses.