i've bought a treadmill, now what?!

randa_behnam
randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi

My partner and i have purchased a motorised treadmill. does anyone know the best way to get started using one of these. iv never done jogging before so i doubt ill be able to jog for more than a few seconds but im a keen walker.

Also is this a good form of losing body fat, and should i do some toning before, after or in between my treadmill session?

Replies

• sloopygirls
    sloopygirls Posts: 14 Member
    Throw on your favorite recorded shows. Walk during the show and run during the commericals. 30 minutes will fly by and you will soon find yourself being able to jog longer and longer. It's a simple way to do interval training. Keeps it interesting as well.
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    What a great idea!! i never thought of using adverts as an advantage!! Thanks
  • I never thought of that...what a great idea!
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Just get on it and start going! I watch all my fav tv shows on DVD when I am on mine, makes the time fly by!
  • Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    go to the site http://www.coolrunnings.com and there should be a guide how to get started on training for a 5K (althought that may not be ur goal, but it's still a good guide!) It will get u started on the tread mill and make sure u don't over exurt urself or get too ahead of urself! That's what I'm doing anyways....so far so good! PS....u DON'T have to join to print the page out!
  • Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    I watch my fav shows while walking, pretty much the same way someone else posted...brisk walking during the show and then a job during commercials.... i find i walk really good watching Biggest Loser! motivational and you cant really quit during the show without feeling like a loser lol
  • JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Throw on your favorite recorded shows. Walk during the show and run during the commericals. 30 minutes will fly by and you will soon find yourself being able to jog longer and longer. It's a simple way to do interval training. Keeps it interesting as well.

This is a great idea. Watching tv or movies during a workout makes the time go by really fast.
  • sloopygirls
    sloopygirls Posts: 14 Member
    I need to record those shows: Biggest Loser and I used to be Fat on MTV
  • girlofsun26
    girlofsun26 Posts: 140 Member
    I need to record those shows: Biggest Loser and I used to be Fat on MTV

There's another show I just started recording "Heavy" ..same concept very motivational to see them loose so much weight!
This discussion has been closed.