Protein Powder Substitute

therobinator
therobinator Posts: 832 Member
edited September 23 in Food and Nutrition
I am beginning the INSANITY workout DVD's in the next few days, and I also plan to exactly follow their "Elite Nutrition" plan. It's pretty close to what I eat now anyways....lean meats, low fat, low sugar, complex carbs, etc. But a lot of the recipes call for Protein Powder. I am not big on supplements and would really rather eat only whole foods (i.e. if it didn't live on the planet or grow out of the earth, I don't want to put it in my mouth). Is there anything (or better yet a few thngs) that I can substitute for protein powder? How much of whatever substitute food you recommend wold equal, let's say, a "scoop" of protein powder? Many thanks!!

Replies

• jkrobertson1998
    jkrobertson1998 Posts: 30 Member
    I have read that the protein powders digest faster, however some people do not like the taste. I sometimes eat a can of chiken or tuna(with wter) for the protein after a workout. They are a good source of protein and very lean. But you can't eat tuna everyday.
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    I think whey protein powder is derived from dairy. Like "curds and whey"or cottage cheese. Cottage cheese is a good protien containing casin, you might try that.
  • Going to be hard to find a protein-containing food that doesn't also contain fats or carbs. Protein powder is usually an "isolate", basically the protein chemically or mechanically extracted (isolated) from some otherwise natural substance like whey or soy. Because of the isolation, it's more "pure" than foods that contain a natural mix of nutrients.
  • Why don't you try shakeology?!
  • therobinator
    I did a little math. I went to the GNC website and looked at their different Unflavored Whey Protein Powders. Averaging out, they seem to have approximately 113 calories, 24.5 grams of protein, 1.25 grams of fat, and 1.5 grams of carbs, per scoop. Some even had -0- fat and carbs. If I were to translate this to Egg Whites (no fat and no carbs), I would need to eat 6 Egg Whites to get that same 113 calories and 24 grams of protein. So, I suppose I could do that....but any other conversion suggestions will be very appreciated. :)
  • therobinator
    Why don't you try shakeology?!

Like I said, I am not into supplements, shakes, etc. If it didn't live on the planet or grow out of the earth, I don't want to put it in my mouth. I have nothing against those who like these things (for some people it just makes things easier), and there's nothing wrong with them, it's jsut for me personally, if I believe I shouls be able to get what I need by eating actual food. :)
  • Why don't you try shakeology?!

Like I said, I am not into supplements, shakes, etc. If it didn't live on the planet or grow out of the earth, I don't want to put it in my mouth. I have nothing against those who like these things (for some people it just makes things easier), and there's nothing wrong with them, it's jsut for me personally, if I believe I shouls be able to get what I need by eating actual food. :)
    Thats just the thing Shakeology Is FOOD! it has 70 differant food a lot that comes from the ground. heres a video proving what I'm talking about!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNEQe9h9CYM :flowerforyou:
  • therobinator
    Thats just the thing Shakeology Is FOOD! it has 70 differant food a lot that comes from the ground. heres a video proving what I'm talking about!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNEQe9h9CYM :flowerforyou:

I appreciate your gusto, I really do. But nowhere in that video nor on the Shakeology label do they tell you how they get all that stuff to become the powder, or what processes they go through to extract the things they are extracting. That's the part I am not fond of. Sorry, but I am just not a proponent of powders, processed foods, etc. Besides, the 6 egg whites get me more protein for less calories than Shakeology does. And really all I am looking to do is find a substitute for protein powder. I am not looking for a debate, I'm just expressing my personal opinion here and talking about what I feel is best for me, no one else.

Maybe at some point in the future, powders and supplements will be the only way nutrition is available to us (like in the movies lol), but for now, I like to eat food. :)
  • elfward
    elfward Posts: 52 Member
    Hiya,

I've been wondering the same thing - I want to up my protein uptake without drinking protein shakes or using powders. I eat hummus and peanut butter, drink semi-skinned milk, eat yogurt, cheese, lean meat, fish and pulses, but I'm always way off the protein level I seem to need!

Any help much appreciated...
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Chobani greek yogurt has 140 calories and 14 grams of protein. But it does have 20 grams of carbs and 20 grams of sugars. I find with this and 1/2 cup of cottage cheese during my day helps me make my protein goals.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Bruce Lee used to put raw meat and eggs, along with other things, into a blender and drink that, not sure that is what you want to do. :smile:

Chicken brest and tuna, are a main stay for many a body builder, along with lean red meat, are the best sources of high protien eats.
  • There isn't anything on the Earth that didn't grow on the planet at some point.
    Protein powders didn't get shipped here from some other universe. Clearly, they are made from Earthly elements.
    I think saying you don't want "processed protein powder" is the way to best explain what you are looking for.
  • Hey there. I am a doctor and am gonna start the insanity program. I live in Egypt and am not into protein shakes or powders and started searching for many substitutes, I would be really grateful if any of you could suggest alternatives.

I was thinking of wheat germ or something but it has much more carbs and less protein. Could i use grilled chicken or tuna in water or even lean meats instead??

Thanks!
  • MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Youre not going to find a food that gives you the same protein bang for your calorie buck. Thats why people use the powder, its a good dose of protein with minimal calories. I dont consider protein powder a supplement, its just a food,
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Youre not going to find a food that gives you the same protein bang for your calorie buck. Thats why people use the powder, its a good dose of protein with minimal calories. I dont consider protein powder a supplement, its just a food,
    This. Whey is one of the purest if not the purest form of protein. I didn't say that, Alan Aragon did.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Egg whites are the closest thing you'll find, but it takes 4-5 of them to equal one scoop of protein powder. That being said, if you don't want to supplement, perhaps you should be looking someplace other than beachbody workouts. Many of their workouts and nutrition plans are basically just a vehicle for trying to sell you expensive supplements from their ridiculously overpriced supplement line. The workouts are no more effective than half of the other ones out there and many of them are better. They're only so successful because of their heavy marketing.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Depending on the recipe, but Greek yoghurt or egg whites may be options (is it smoothies?). For stuff like adding protein to baked goods, that may be a lot more difficult to keep the calories down.

Edit to add: Usually a 'scoop' of protein powder is expected to be around 20g of protein at 100kcal, which if you look at lean poultry and white fish, isn't exactly amazing. They usually argue about speed of absorption, with little evidence to whether that's actually relevant or not.
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Hey there. I am a doctor and am gonna start the insanity program. I live in Egypt and am not into protein shakes or powders and started searching for many substitutes, I would be really grateful if any of you could suggest alternatives.

I was thinking of wheat germ or something but it has much more carbs and less protein. Could i use grilled chicken or tuna in water or even lean meats instead??

Thanks!

Hold on a sec. You are a doctor and you don't know what food are lean protein sources? Strange :huh:

Apart from everyone else said, powdered milk can be a substitute for protein powder in recipes. But it also has a higher carb and fat content than protein powder.
  • brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    Hey there. I am a doctor and am gonna start the insanity program. I live in Egypt and am not into protein shakes or powders and started searching for many substitutes, I would be really grateful if any of you could suggest alternatives.

Thanks!

Hold on a sec. You are a doctor and you don't know what food are lean protein sources? Strange :huh:

Apart from everyone else said, powdered milk can be a substitute for protein powder in recipes. But it also has a higher carb and fat content than protein powder.

i was thinking the same thing ..
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    i buy dymatize gourmet elite whey and casein online. 2 5lb tubs for $71 and free shipping . you can get 2lb tubs too . it works for me when i put frozen fruit in it for a shake . the different flavors arent really exciting but its what you add to the shake that makes the difference in flavor
This discussion has been closed.