Zumba

Roxywho
Roxywho Posts: 2
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Does anyone know about how many calories you would burn in a Zumba class at the YMCA? The class lasts about 45 min.

Thanks
Roxywho

Replies

• i do an hours class with a friend , her hrm says she burns about 600 cals :) hope that helps .. i log it in to fit pal as hi impact aerobics , and it gives me just under 500 ..
  • Roxy, when I did it I put it in as aerobics or dance.
  • redwingluvr
    redwingluvr Posts: 75 Member
    Every person burns different with Zumba. I wear a HRM and usually burn over 600 for 60 minutes. But it depends on how much you work it. The more you weigh the more you burn. If you can afford a HRM I would get one so you don't have to guess. It's the best thing I've bought since losing weight & exercising. I would thinkg that on average for 45 mins may 400 - 500 depending how much you do. Good luck!
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    getting a heart rate monitor is your best bet for calorie tracking. there are so many factors involved in how much you burn - it could be totally different between you and someone else. otherwise, i would log it as low impact aerobics, unless you are doing a *lot* of jumping around in your routine - then i would log it as high impact. good luck!
  • kcurtis05
    kcurtis05 Posts: 524 Member
    Every person burns different with Zumba. I wear a HRM and usually burn over 600 for 60 minutes. But it depends on how much you work it. The more you weigh the more you burn. If you can afford a HRM I would get one so you don't have to guess. It's the best thing I've bought since losing weight & exercising. I would thinkg that on average for 45 mins may 400 - 500 depending how much you do. Good luck!

I second this! I use a HRM and burn about 575-600 in a 60 minute class, but everyone is different. When logging into MFP "dancing, general" only gives me 297 in 60 minutes and "aerobics, high impact" only gives me 462 in 60 minutes. So you best bet is to get a HRM if you want a more accurate estimation.
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member

I totally agree!!!! everyone is different!! and a HRM is the best thing ever! I don't know how I survived without one!!! =)
  • I have been trying to figure that one out as well. I got to Zumba two to three times a week and the YMCA. It seems like I have been burning a ton of calories on it too. But if you look it up on here, there is a dancing aerobic one-it only gives you about 200 or 300 calories. Let me know if you find out what it might be. I'm going to try to research it a little more too! Good Luck!
  • The 500+/- answers above seem consistant, and I would agree. My wife is a zumba instructor (4 classes today alone!) and that's about what she burned when she used my HRM monitor for a week to test it out. (And yes, we changed all the settings from me to her first)
  • Sadly this question comes up almost every day. I wish they would add a category specific to Zumba (since it’s a VERY popular workout) and take the mystery out of it for all of us. As for me, I log it as "Dancing, aerobic, ballet or modern, twist” which gives me calories in the 450 range. I do not have an HRM…yet.
This discussion has been closed.