Protein??

Options
I am having a hard time getting my protein in daily, I don't like eating meat. I want to find a protein shake to have for breakfast and when I work out .... what protein shakes do you like??

Replies

• DBritt1
    DBritt1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Costco has the best bargain. They have a 6lb bag of Whey Protein for around $30. They have chocolate and vanilla that mixes easily with water or milk.
  • thonglover
    Options
    I like the six star one from wal-mart. My favorite trick is to add an instant coffee packet and blend with ice. Tastes like a mocha frapp.
  • tpabayjeff
    Options
    Hi! I use the 100% Whey Protein powder from GNC. They have a chocolate flavor, that when mixed is like a shake. I mix mine with light vanilla soy milk and ice. One scoop provides 20g of protein or something like that.

Jeff
  • tukrainets
    Options
    if you buy greek yogurt, especially brand faje, it has 17 grams of protein, so does yoplait green yogurt, or chobani has between 13-16 grams.. :) peanut butter...
  • krissy_pooo
    krissy_pooo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    it depends what you want... I just went to a store that sells all kinds and the guy told me if you want one for post workout then you want just a plain whey protein (quick release) to restore your muscles right after you workout... or you can get slow release, which you can have for breakfast, or it's good before bed because it releases different things at different times. I bought the slow release before I talked to the guy so that's what I'm using right now.. it's called myofusion. I think it might also be higher in protein than other kinds. Either way he said protein is protein so any kind is a good idea! and dont fall for the expensive brands either! he also said there's really no difference between the cheaper and expensive kinds. good luck picking one!
  • Trovan
    Trovan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I'm told by experts that you need to make sure that you get Isolate Protein. I use the Dymatize Eilte (the chocolate one is delicious).
  • NOLAdy
    NOLAdy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I make my own because I don't like the chocolate powder mix that I have. I blend ice, milk, unsweetened coconut, pineapple, and banana and (ground) flax seeds. Sometimes I'll add other fruit as I buy it, but I almost always have those. Greek yogurt is a great source of protein also. Boiled eggs are a staple in my fridge, almond butter on whole grain toast. Oat groats. There's a lot of possibilities.
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Iso Flex-peanut butter chocolate, or Iso-100 Vanilla are both good. About 27g of protein for 110 calories.
  • knighttrain74
    knighttrain74 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the Muscle Milk Light protein powder... it comes in a ton of flavors and it's less calories
  • camp_teekay
    camp_teekay Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Instead of a powder, you can also use non-fat, plain greek yogurt, like Chobani or Fage. It has TONS of protein - something like 17g per 6 oz. serving, depending on the brand / fat content. Just blend it up with some frozen fruit in a smoothie, maybe with some flax seeds or honey, depending on how much sugar you want to eat.

*Note: in the two minutes it took me to post this reply, a bunch of other people also mentioned greek yogurt. It's good stuff!
  • JJMS
    JJMS Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    BSN Lean Dessert is great, a few yummy flavors to choose from also! For breakfast I love the cinnamon roll or the banana nut bread and I just re-ordered another container of the Chocolate coconut too! ;)
  • EvilPirateJohn
    EvilPirateJohn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition Brand, Gold Standard, Double Chocolate. It's 24 grams of protein per serving. I buy from amazon using the "subscribe and save" option, which knocks 15% off my order, so it comes out to be around $33 for 5lbs.

Another good source of protein is Kroger Brand Carbmaster Yogurt. It's 12 grams protein, and only 3g of sugar. Unlike a lot of other yogurts, it's nice to eat this because the sugar is so low. It's pretty tasty as well.
  • jlc88
    jlc88 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like the chocolate Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protien mixed with coffee!!! Soooo good! And it has 52g of protien (for 2 scoops) I think they sell it at Wal-Mart.
  • NOLAdy
    NOLAdy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I like the six star one from wal-mart. My favorite trick is to add an instant coffee packet and blend with ice. Tastes like a mocha frapp.

Oh, I have to try that! I may be able to use up my big tub of chocolate powder after all.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Try the Pure Protein line of protein bars. I enjoy them.

20g protein
    2g sugar
    180 to 200cals each bar.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I liked Chike, especially the Banana Magic and Orange Dream (Which tastes like a Dreamsicle and I'm drinking right now.)

I get them online.

I also like Whey Gourmet Smooth PB & Chocolate too but I've been having trouble finding it lately.

I also drink protein hot chocolate at night (I like the Healthsmart/Healthwise brand the best.) It's 15 g for an 8 oz mug. Not a ton compared to a protein shake but it's a nice "top me off" at the end of the day if I'm short on protein grams.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I don't think I eat enough protein either..that is why I have been supplementing with Greek yogurt and dried edamame and other nuts. All are very tasty to me.
  • lorirogs
    lorirogs Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Also how much should you have a day? I work out on a reg M, W & F nights but try to get to the gym on a Thurs & Sat for cycle class. I just don't want to over do it or under do it. Thanks
  • maggieschuck
    Options
    Try to eat your calories. If you drink shakes before you work out that's ok but make sure you are eating the bulk of your calories.

http://www.mypyramid.gov/pyramid/meat.html

This link has protein foods. If you don't like to cook then try crock pot receipts. They are easy and you can make bulk. Get freezer tubs and portions it out and freeze it. You have to get creative. This is all about life changes.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I try to get 1 g per pound of body weight but I'm also trying to build up muscle. Plus protein-based meals tend to hold me better than something carb-based.

I'd also be careful of the protein bars. Most of them have as many or more carb grams than protein grams. If they have artificial sweeteners, they tend to have a 1:1 ratio but a lot of them actually have a lot of sugar and have a 2:1 ratio or higher.

I'm not sure how something can be a "protein' bar if it has 21 g of carbs (of which 15 g are sugar) and only 12 g of protein, but that's what Luna "Protein" Bars have.