Eating exercise calories and accuracy of burned calories...

Options
I know this topic has been discussed but I'm not questioning if I should eat the extra calories or not but how accurate the calorie burn IS. I have Sportline heart rate/calorie counter. Last summer I was using the estimated calories from here when I plugged in my workout and felt they were slightly high but not by much. Then I pulled out my old Body Bug from when they first came out, reactivated it and started using it. I was shocked...after a hard work where my heart rate was over 170/180 it showed a barley burned 290ish calories. I was really discouraged. And sadly over a few months I lost motivation as the scale did not budge and the inches stopped.

For Christmas I gave my husband the Sportline watch I mentioned above. For fun I put it on the other day and according this thing after a 40 min Hip Hop Ab work out and 32 min Chalean Extreme workout I burned over 1200 calories in 1 hour and 15 min!!!!!! So by that I wasn't eating anywhere near what I should have been. But how accurate is that? I was shocked to see that many calories but if it's accurate I'm thrilled.

When you are deciding how many exercise calories to consume what do you use to determine the accuracy?

Did that make sense? Thanks so much.

Kim

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I barely burn 200 calories in a chalean extreme burn circuit that is 30 mins long. This does not surprise me either as all I am doing is lifting weights. My HRM has a chest strap so I feel its very accurate.