CLA supplements (Clarinol vs. Tonalin) and Effectiveness

Options
I've been taking a Nature's Way CLA-1300 supplement that I got from Whole Foods and noticed today that they use a specific brand of CLA called Clarinol. I've read about Tonalin, and I know that is the other main marketed CLA brand. When I bought this particular supplement, I considered several things: 1) price, 2) value, and 3) perceived effectiveness for the most naturally derived product I could find. I understand that virtually all mass-produced CLA supplements are, at least, part synthetic, so I am already aware that these will never be quite as effective as consuming CLA-rich foods. Having said that...

I am mostly just curious if anyone else has any experience taking CLA supplements, and if so, which brand did you take and how well do you perceive the effectiveness of it for you and your fitness goals.

I've been taking my supplement for several weeks, 3 x per day with meals, while monitoring and controlling my nutrition and exercising very regularly (6 x per week). Since mid-January, I have lost approximately 7 pounds, several inches from my body, and visibly look and feel tighter and better than ever. Additionally, my fitness in running and strength has improved markedly, somewhat surprisingly so. I've been on MFP for a year now, and have been gaining and losing the same 10 pounds since 2008, going from diligent to lax, in regular intervals with varying degrees of commitment.

This time, things truly feel different to me. I include a variety of activities in my routine and the only things I am doing differently from the past year is that I've added indoor bouldering/ climbing 2-3 x per week to my routine and have been faithfully taking the CLA supplement since mid-January.

Whatever I'm doing is obviously working very well. I am so pleased to be in a range of fitness (and physique) that I have not ever experienced before and my motivation to continue is positively high. My goals have even shifted slightly, in that not only do I want to lose weight to look and feel physically better, but I really want to be a better climber and any weight reduction is absolutely essential for me to achieve my climbing goals. It is a different motivation, so admittedly, my mental direction could be a factor in my measured success as well.

I don't plan on changing anything about what I am doing, however, I am unclear as to the effect of the CLA variable within my combination. At this point, I can only affirm that everything I am doing is working together systematically, and I know that CLA is absolutely NOT a magic bullet, but I guess I cannot help but be tempted to attribute at least part of my success to the inclusion of this supplement. :)

So, I would love to learn about other people's experiences with CLA. Do you think it is giving you a real edge in your weight loss and fitness goals?

Replies