Few calories?

Options
I don't get this "too few calories" thing. If I am supposed to be trying to lose weight, aren't healthy foods gonna have fewer calories anyway? Can someone explain?

Replies

• ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    long read but well worth the reading *S* explains alot

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • vikeschick42
    Options
    If you go too low on calories, your body will think you aren't going to feed it anymore. So it slows your metabolism way down to conserve energy. When this happens, anything you eat is instantly stored, rather than burned. And you stop losing, or could actually gain weight. Try to stay above 1200 to avoid what most refer to as starvation mode.
  • Momof3ggb
    Momof3ggb Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My problem is that if I eat right.....I can't even come close to my calories. Eating right I can only reach about 800 calories. And that's eating five-six times a day.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    My problem is that if I eat right.....I can't even come close to my calories. Eating right I can only reach about 800 calories. And that's eating five-six times a day.

Try adding protein shakes or protein bars to your intake. I also eat avocado when I need a boost of calories after exercise but they are high in fat.
  • janaegriffin87
    janaegriffin87 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This article REALLY helped...thank you!

And thank you to everyone else who responded! I love it here already! ^_^
  • tmaksparkie
    Options

Grab some nuts to eat like almonds or walnuts they pack a lot of good cals in a little amount.
  • joshbravo
    Options

When it comes to eating right, you need to eat a decent helping to call it a meal. It is good you are eating 6 times a day but if your not peaking at at least 1200 DV that means you are just eating 6 snacks through out the day. Try and double the size of 3 of those meals and you should level out. Eating those 6 meals a day helps your metabolism kick in but if they are too small it can actually hindre your diet.

Currently I have to eat at LEAST 2500 calories a day to promote body fat loss and still be able to gain muscle. One of the most detrimental things you can do in a diet is cut your calories or eat less on day because you weight is going up. Muscle weighs more then fat and not alot of people understand that if you are working out you are gaining muscle and might see overall weight gain once in a while.
  • Momof3ggb
    Momof3ggb Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. All your comments and suggetions help.
    :)