less calories, less weight? That is the question.

Options
Wondering if the more weight you lose the less calories your body needs. This system doesn't go less than 1200 a day. I started at 1200 was weighing 167 now down to 153 but still at a 1200 caloric intake
What a great question. Does the body need fewer calories as you get thinner and lighter? Are there ever enough calories one should have? Are there a certain number of calories that if consumed it will allow you to get to your perfect weight?
Well in my opinion I don’t believe that we can look at a person’s weight and height and build and assume that they should have a certain amount of calories to either maintain or reduce their present appearance. Some people think that the heavier you are the more you burn and so you need more calories to maintain that weight. There is truth to that because your body is working so much harder to stay alive. However on the other end of the spectrum if you look at those that are really in shape you would think that they would need less to stay that way because their body “must” run more efficiently than one who is overweight and out of shape. The answer to that question is, not necessarily and this is why;
Let’s remember what a calorie is. A calorie is measure of heat energy. It is a pre SI metric unit of energy and is something that we need to fuel our bodies on a day to day basis. The key words there are heat energy. Energy is something we need every day that our body generates. Think about it when you get up in the morning you need energy to do that. When you walk down stairs or when you drive or work or run or sit, it doesn’t matter. Here is the difference however to answer the questions above. Depending on how active you are and where you are on the spectrum of your health and fitness will determine how many calories one should have.
I look at myself for instance. I need a minimum of 3500 calories a day just to maintain the weight and physical condition I am at. I am 175 pounds but very active. I may do more in a day than most when it comes to raw working out. Now take a person who is 75 pounds overweight and sedentary they will probably need just as many calories as I do just to maintain their physical condition.
As you get lighter do you need more or less calories? Ask a gymnast or a marathon runner or a high caliber athlete that same question and they will tell you that it all boils down to activity and energy needed. With this in mind now think about how the calorie can help you get better fit. Don’t try and cut the calorie. By doing that you are cutting your only source of energy.

Replies

• superjarrod1616
    superjarrod1616 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    So what do you think the best way to determine caloric intake needed?
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    1200 is the minimum ever. If you want to continue with your current weight, go to the tools tab, then the BMR tab, and calculate you BMR this will tell the amount of calories your body needs to maintain your current weight.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    As I understand it, the human body, whatever size, needs 1200 calories per day just to function. So if you are light and sedentary, then 1200 will do it for you and you will be able to maintain.

But if you are light and active, you need to up your caloric intake.

Now if you are light and want to lose a little weight, the answer will be to up your physical activity as well as your caloric intake but to make sure that you aren't over-heightening your caloric intake.

Now if you're like me, and you're a moderate weight (seriously, I don't believe in BMI because it says I'm obese but really, if I lost the amount of weight it tells me to lose to get healthy, I would be nothing but bones) and very active, then you need to balance your activity and your calories.

But don't forget. WHAT you eat is just as, if not more, important than HOW MUCH you eat. If you eat 1200 calories a day at McDonald's--Big Mac, fries, coke, cookie--then you're going to end up fat anyway from an imbalance of fats-to-protein-to-fiber. Whereas, you're more likely to maintain and/or lose weight if you are eating nuts, seeds, berries, veggies and whole proteins like milk, eggs and a little meat.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Wondering if the more weight you lose the less calories your body needs. This system doesn't go less than 1200 a day. I started at 1200 was weighing 167 now down to 153 but still at a 1200 caloric intake
    What a great question. Does the body need fewer calories as you get thinner and lighter? Are there ever enough calories one should have? Are there a certain number of calories that if consumed it will allow you to get to your perfect weight?
    Well in my opinion I don’t believe that we can look at a person’s weight and height and build and assume that they should have a certain amount of calories to either maintain or reduce their present appearance. Some people think that the heavier you are the more you burn and so you need more calories to maintain that weight. There is truth to that because your body is working so much harder to stay alive. However on the other end of the spectrum if you look at those that are really in shape you would think that they would need less to stay that way because their body “must” run more efficiently than one who is overweight and out of shape. The answer to that question is, not necessarily and this is why;
    Let’s remember what a calorie is. A calorie is measure of heat energy. It is a pre SI metric unit of energy and is something that we need to fuel our bodies on a day to day basis. The key words there are heat energy. Energy is something we need every day that our body generates. Think about it when you get up in the morning you need energy to do that. When you walk down stairs or when you drive or work or run or sit, it doesn’t matter. Here is the difference however to answer the questions above. Depending on how active you are and where you are on the spectrum of your health and fitness will determine how many calories one should have.
    I look at myself for instance. I need a minimum of 3500 calories a day just to maintain the weight and physical condition I am at. I am 175 pounds but very active. I may do more in a day than most when it comes to raw working out. Now take a person who is 75 pounds overweight and sedentary they will probably need just as many calories as I do just to maintain their physical condition.
    As you get lighter do you need more or less calories? Ask a gymnast or a marathon runner or a high caliber athlete that same question and they will tell you that it all boils down to activity and energy needed. With this in mind now think about how the calorie can help you get better fit. Don’t try and cut the calorie. By doing that you are cutting your only source of energy.

Yes it does. With each pound I lose (and input into MFP) my BMR changes. I am sedentary (although I exercise now so maybe not so sedentary these days). My BMR started at 1520 and now is down to 1480. Of course if someone was more active than me that person would require more calories.
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    Options
    I started with 1630 cals I have lost 25kg in 14 months my cals now are down to 1310 its my understanding that 1200 in the bare minimum and at present my BMR is 1700 so my cals are in deficit by almost 400 cals x
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the 1200......have been told by many that just to maintain I would only need around 1050 to 1060 calories a day.....I think maybe we should just listen to our body, if we are hungry...eat.....healthy, if we are bored, maybe you are not really hungry....if your not hungry, and you have only had 900 calories for the day...don't force yourself to eat.....your body tells you what it needs...just listen to it...
    *Fae hides under her wings as starvation mode activists circle and move in*