Fattest guy ever

smcappello
smcappello Posts: 1
edited September 23 in Introduce Yourself
So I'm pretty much the fattest guy ever. About 3 weeks I decided not to be. I am in the gym or working out about 5 nights a week. When I started the scale read error (it goes up to 400 pounds). This morning it read 382.

I go to the gym and get confusing information. I did Jenny Craig and weight watchers in the past. They have the same general principals. 4 or 5 bread/carbs, 4/5 proteins, 4 fats, 4 fruit, 4 veggie, 4 dairy (cheese is protein not dairy). Am I solid to keep these principals?

Replies

• Calories IN...Calories OUT - And by "OUT" I mean getting up off your fanny and BURNING them off! ; )
  • Chadwick891
    Chadwick891 Posts: 72 Member
    Well - There ARE more effective ways of losing weight at a faster rate but a lot of these weight-watchers programs don't incorporate it because they assume that no one ever touches a weight or uses gym equipment.

I lost over 38lb in just 10 weeks by focusing on my portions of Protein and Carbohydrates and only taking naturally occurring fats found in my meals and O3FA's. I have written a post in my profile Blog that will explain the processes I went through to help me lose my weight in this period and I only wrote it to hopefully inspire others to achieve the same great results and the physique they desire!

Counting calories is too complex for weight-loss when you're starting out. It's much easier counting portions of good foods and eating consistently throughout the day to keep that metabolism firing!

If you're going to the gym 5 nights a week and you're doing physical labour i.e. lifting weights, press machines etc. I would recommend taking a look at my post on my profile to give you a really good push in the right direction!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Chadwick891
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Check this guy out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/500lbs2marathon

He was bigger than you (I think) and is an incredible success story on here (as his name implies). I'm sure he'd accept your friend request and probably could give some good insight for your situation.
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    You my friend are in the right place. Let me start by saying AWESOME JOB by getting back into the 300's!! That is a huge milestone to begin with and so quickly!! You should talk to 500lbs2marathon...he was larger than you and is a runner now! He is on my friend's list and you can sort them by user name. Also, I am proud of you for asking questions, if you don't know educate yourself...These guys sound like they're giving you wonderful advise. Make sure to get your water in too. I see you have a desk job and there are little things you can do there like keeping a water bottle in front of your face so you sip all day, keep better snacks so you don't get hungry and reach for the crap food, also keep moving. You could loop a resistance band around your thighs or knees and flex all day. Google desk exercises too to keep you going at work. Good luck my friend and keep it up. It is possible. There are some big number losers on this site and they are totally supportive and rock with knowledge!!
  • Setof2Keys

He was bigger than you (I think) and is an incredible success story on here (as his name implies). I'm sure he'd accept your friend request and probably could give some good insight for your situation.

**jinks** LOL
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,870 Member

He is awesome! Definitely check him out! He is incredibly inspiring and has come SOOOO far!

You should also consult your doctor about your weight loss goals and you may have to try some things to figure out what works for you.

That being said, here are some things that I tell people when they ask me (I didn't have quite as much to lose, but I did have a pretty daunting journey ahead of me when I started) based on what has worked for me (but, once again, you may have different dietary or fitness needs):

1) The quality of your calories - whether 1200 or 2500 - really does matter, not only in how it impacts weight loss, but how it impacts your overall health. Filling your body with NUTRITIOUS foods is just as important (if not more so) than just staying within your calorie goals.

2) Find a kind of exercise you enjoy and do that until you build the habit of exercising because you are less likely to skip working out if it is something you enjoy. Then start incorporating new things - you not only will work new muscles, but you may find new things you enjoy.

3) Eliminate temptation. If you are an emotional eater, don't keep junk food around. If it isn't available, you're less likely to binge on it.

4) Indulge cravings... sensibly. If you are dying for chocolate, have some, BUT... try to find the healthiest option (for example, one small square of dark chocolate, or make some hot cocoa with some milk or almond milk, cocoa powder, and stevia, which is a natural no-calorie sweetener) and keep the portion small. If you completely deprive yourself, you're going to binge. If you are sensible about things, you won't feel deprived.

5) Drink lots of water. It helps in so many areas. Yes, it does help with weight loss, but it also helps your body function better, flushes out excess sodium, keeps you feeling full longer, and the list goes on and on.

6) Don't skip meals! Eat breakfast in the morning to fuel your body and get your metabolism going. Have a mid morning snack (fruit or nuts are good, or maybe some yogurt). Have a sensible lunch. Have a mid-afternoon snack (I am personally a huge fan of baby carrots and will eat several servings a day - they are so crunchy that they are really satisfying for any "munchies" I might be having). Eat a nutritious dinner in a sensible portion. Don't go for seconds. Have a glass of water before and after and then wait 20 minutes after you are done eating. If you are still hungry, have something nutritious like veggies or a piece of fruit.

7) Don't give up! If you stumble or mess up one meal, one day, or even for a whole week, just start over.

8) Listen to MFP. If it gives you a calorie goal that is a lot higher than other people's - LET IT! A heavier body requires more calories to function and MFP will give you the deficit you need to lose weight steadily and in a healthy manner (not more than 2 lbs/week). Don't try to eat 1200 calories if MFP recommends more (including at least a decent chunk of your exercise calories) unless specifically advised (and monitored) by a doctor. That isn't enough for most people and you can't get adequate nutrition on it.

9) This is the motto I go by:
    EVERY CHOICE YOU MAKE ABOUT WHAT YOU PUT IN YOUR BODY AND HOW YOU MOVE YOUR BODY WILL EITHER PUT YOU ONE STEP CLOSER TO GOOD HEALTH OR ONE STEP FURTHER AWAY.

I hope you have tremendous success and that you are able to not only reach your weight loss goals but also that you are able to live a long, healthy life!
  • Setof2Keys
    My biggest tip when I first started was to buy a cheap little food scale from wal-mart or something and measure that food. Measure your meals and pre-measure what you take to work. I was dumbfounded at my portions. I thought I was eating just fine...WRONG!! A digital scale is easy and MFPers have listed most foods. For work I also packed some backups because at first I was hungry since I was adjusting my portions. I packed carrots and celery and nuts to hold me over.
  • downtownstazi
    downtownstazi Posts: 143 Member
    High five on making the choice!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    I say if you're losing, just stick with it! I personally believe in percentages. I've done very well (don't believe my ticker - been here for 2 years, and have gained, and now am losing again) with MFP. I'm set for 45% carbs, 30% protein, 25% fat. I aim for 120g of protein per day and that's really the main thing I focus on. I make sure I eat whole grains - usually it's corn tortillas, multigrain pasta, whole wheat bread/bagels. I eat healthy fats - olive oil, avocado, butter, WHOLE MILK (gasp), nuts, seeds. I try to eat a veggie or fruit at every meal but am really bad about it most days, and am trying to be better. I usually burn at least 400 calories a day and workout 5-6 times per week. As long as I stay within my calories and am eating GOOD calories but still allow myself treats or "bad food" every now and then, I lose just fine.

I feel like everyone just needs to find their own groove and I've found what works for me. It sounds like you're doing great, and I would only worry about it when you stop losing!
  • ogosun
    ogosun Posts: 175 Member
    ok... what is with the guys that take pictures with their shirts off.... seriously that is so not cool.... kinda like a REDNECK walking down a street with no shirt on... ewwwwwww how scary is that..... pretty scaryyyyyyyyy:huh:
  • kir911
    kir911 Posts: 228 Member

He is awesome! Definitely check him out! He is incredibly inspiring and has come SOOOO far!

You should also consult your doctor about your weight loss goals and you may have to try some things to figure out what works for you.

That being said, here are some things that I tell people when they ask me (I didn't have quite as much to lose, but I did have a pretty daunting journey ahead of me when I started) based on what has worked for me (but, once again, you may have different dietary or fitness needs):

1) The quality of your calories - whether 1200 or 2500 - really does matter, not only in how it impacts weight loss, but how it impacts your overall health. Filling your body with NUTRITIOUS foods is just as important (if not more so) than just staying within your calorie goals.

2) Find a kind of exercise you enjoy and do that until you build the habit of exercising because you are less likely to skip working out if it is something you enjoy. Then start incorporating new things - you not only will work new muscles, but you may find new things you enjoy.

3) Eliminate temptation. If you are an emotional eater, don't keep junk food around. If it isn't available, you're less likely to binge on it.

4) Indulge cravings... sensibly. If you are dying for chocolate, have some, BUT... try to find the healthiest option (for example, one small square of dark chocolate, or make some hot cocoa with some milk or almond milk, cocoa powder, and stevia, which is a natural no-calorie sweetener) and keep the portion small. If you completely deprive yourself, you're going to binge. If you are sensible about things, you won't feel deprived.

5) Drink lots of water. It helps in so many areas. Yes, it does help with weight loss, but it also helps your body function better, flushes out excess sodium, keeps you feeling full longer, and the list goes on and on.

6) Don't skip meals! Eat breakfast in the morning to fuel your body and get your metabolism going. Have a mid morning snack (fruit or nuts are good, or maybe some yogurt). Have a sensible lunch. Have a mid-afternoon snack (I am personally a huge fan of baby carrots and will eat several servings a day - they are so crunchy that they are really satisfying for any "munchies" I might be having). Eat a nutritious dinner in a sensible portion. Don't go for seconds. Have a glass of water before and after and then wait 20 minutes after you are done eating. If you are still hungry, have something nutritious like veggies or a piece of fruit.

7) Don't give up! If you stumble or mess up one meal, one day, or even for a whole week, just start over.

8) Listen to MFP. If it gives you a calorie goal that is a lot higher than other people's - LET IT! A heavier body requires more calories to function and MFP will give you the deficit you need to lose weight steadily and in a healthy manner (not more than 2 lbs/week). Don't try to eat 1200 calories if MFP recommends more (including at least a decent chunk of your exercise calories) unless specifically advised (and monitored) by a doctor. That isn't enough for most people and you can't get adequate nutrition on it.

9) This is the motto I go by:
    EVERY CHOICE YOU MAKE ABOUT WHAT YOU PUT IN YOUR BODY AND HOW YOU MOVE YOUR BODY WILL EITHER PUT YOU ONE STEP CLOSER TO GOOD HEALTH OR ONE STEP FURTHER AWAY.

I hope you have tremendous success and that you are able to not only reach your weight loss goals but also that you are able to live a long, healthy life!

This!!! I absolutely love your advice Cory....spot on and well said!! Just look at your success. I agree definately that the quality of the calories you put in your mouth is extremely important. You will hear alot of different opinions on this on the website. But, if you are looking to improve your overall health making the choice between a fast food meal that is "healthy" and something you made yourself like a grilled chicken breast, veggies and some brown rice....what you made yourself is hands down better!

I personally have had alot of success by planning and cooking things ahead of time, so I always have prepared food on hand and choices in my refrigerator. I also keep certain things on hand all the time like Greek Yogurt, fruit, nuts, and things I can snack on that are good choices. I also agree that having a digital scale is so helpful.....portion sizes are something that alot of people don't realize are out of control until they start weighing and measuring things. It will become a habit and second nature after a while. It all sounds daunting...but you are already on the right track for sure! Congrats on your progress and your decision to do this!!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,066 Member

do that.
  • budgetqueen79
    budgetqueen79 Posts: 310 Member
    Hey!!! Welcome buddy! First off you are not the fattest guy ever b/c I was 377 so that would make us almost twins. You're at the right place! I have lost 91.8 lbs since being on here so you need a bud add me.
  • kisha1977
    kisha1977 Posts: 33 Member
    You are doing a wonderful job!!! I am so glad you decided to change your life. Stick with us and we will lose weight together!
This discussion has been closed.